1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange connection issue!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aktuandurz, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aktuandurz

Aktuandurz Thread Starter

I've been having some strange connection issues, when playing online video games. When i enter a match, after 5-10 minutes my connection becomes extremely unstable and i get disconnected. I'm pinging the connection to the server i'm playing on and it is either a ping of 200-500 or the request just times out. After disconnecting the connection becomes stable again (20-60 ping). I tried on different computers and get the same result. This is a recent issue, and my connection has worked just fine in the past. I live in an apartment building, which only offers Wi-Fi, so I can't use an ethernet cable.

I hope someone has an idea of what is going on, thanks in advance.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you are using a shared WiFi connection, the number of other connections will cause these changes.

Do you know how many connections are be connected to the WiFi?

3. Aktuandurz

I'm guessing at least 50 and it could definitely be more, but even if that is the case, it doesn't answer why it used to work without problems.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Is this 50 connections or 50 apartments that each may have a dozen or so devices connected?
    Because more connections today than there were time before.

Also has there been any network upgrading that just may not have been for the better?

Anytime you are using a public shared WiFi, then all bets are off as to what the performance is going to be.

5. Aktuandurz

It's 50 apartments, probably with 2 or 3 connections each, and I haven't heard about any upgrading, so I don't this that is the case. There is a notice on the notice board though saying that in 2-3 weeks, I should be able to get ethernet. Should I expect big improvements in my connection?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It sounds like the building is being wired for CAT5/6 type of connection.
    That should be faster, but that is still a lot of connections for a single router.

If there is 50 apartments, and each has 2 computers, 2 cell phones, a Echo or Alexa type of devices, that is now up to 200 connections. And we have not even addressed any security type of devices such as cameras or alarms. Then some may even have a secondary router for a mini network within the apartment.

7. Aktuandurz

So what do you think I should do?

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The only way that you are going to get the speeds that you want, is to get your own internet connection and not share it with any of the others in the building.
    Shared WiFi and gamming do not go together!

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    WiFi and Gaming in general doesn't go together because of multiple causes for wireless interference. Ethernet is really the best way for gaming.

As to the issue at hand, it could be that there are too many people online at that time, or someone brought in a device that is disturbing the connection. Have you asked the person responsible for the wireless to see if anyone else has the same issue?

10. Aktuandurz

Thanks for all the help, I will establish an ethernet connection in a few weeks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice