1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange default action: file folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by websquad, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. websquad

websquad Thread Starter

I keep a file folder on my desktop (my FireFox download folder) that just started exhibiting some strange behavior. Instead of opening up like a civilized folder, with a listing of the files, it opens up in full Windows Explorer. So I looked at the folder properties, and the first thing listed was "Explore" and then "Open" ... If I click "Open" it opens up correctly; but if I just double click the folder icon, it does the default option and give me a nice instance of Windows Explorer ... and I have to mouse click down the tree to get to my list of files.

This is on my laptop which sports a week-old refresh of Windows XP/Home.

Unacceptable !!

Any ideas ?? :(

2. moper

moper

'Explore' is the default that I always had. Thought that was standard. Aren't the files listed in the right pane?

Want to change it to 'Open'? In Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll down to 'Folder'. (Not 'File Folder'). Click, Advanced. Click, 'Open'. Click, 'Set Default'. OK.

moper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice