1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Dell XPS Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hal356, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hal356

Hal356 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS issue that is very strange, and I couldn't find the answer, or anything like it for that matter, when I googled it. First of all, as soon as I boot up the machine, There are little green dots going horizontally up and down the boot card. Also, some of the letters have been scrambled and replaced with other letters. There is also random quotation marks all over the screen in other parts of the boot sequence. When I try to boot normally into Windows, the Windows Logo is messed up as well, and it blue screens on me. I have been able to get into Safe Mode, but I have no idea what to fix. At first I thought it was a virus or hard drive issue. Now I'm thinking it's the BIOS, CPU, or video card. I ran diagnostics, to no avail, everything passed. When I boot into Safe Mode however, the letters are no longer scrambled, and everything appears as normal.

I've even attempted to post a picture of one of the scrambled letter "Windows did not boot correctly" screen.

Could anyone tell me what might be wrong?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'm checking out for the evening shortly, but that sounds like something hardware related. To start the Dell diag boot, turn the rig off, plug it into a power source, hit and hold function and hit the power button. That should start the Dell diagnostic check; if you let it check ram (which I'm not sure it is, but can't rule it out) it will take a bit longer.

Curious to see what the vid card reports.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice