1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Disconnection Only on Online Games

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slunk, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slunk

slunk Thread Starter

Hi There, I have a pretty annoying networking problem that started a few months ago.

Basically I started disconnecting when I logged onto Blacklight Retribution after a recent game patch, after a few days the problem stopped and I was able to play again (with no changes to my computer) a few days later another patch was added and the problem occurred again, at first I thought it was a Blacklight specific problem (as this was my only installed game) however i installed a few other games (Kabold Online, Perfect World, Forsaken World, TF2, MW2 and C9) and I got the same problem on each of these games. I haven't been able to log onto a single Online game for more than 5 minutes, normally I'm disconnected at login, HOWEVER, my internet works completely fine in for everything else, i can browse the web, download game clients etc with no problem whatsoever.

(Forgot to add, When i disconnect my LAN Cable mysteriously Unpluggs itself (according to computer) and a disable/enable in network manager reconnects it)

Here's what I have tried so far.

- Checked to see if drivers were up to date (they were)
    - Rolled back NIC Driver (and put it back when this didn't work)
    - Checked device manager for any problems with my NIC, (working as normal apparently)
    - Tried setting my NIC to 100mbps Full Duplex
    - Setting my power options to not interfere with NIC
    - Had a DHCP error in my event logs so i set my gaming machine to a static IP
    - Turned of UnUP, Turned on DMZ
    - Turned off "Green Ethernet"
    - I had other Errors in the form of a service stopping my NIC
    - Phoned ISP, Everything is OK there end but they sent out a new router, but problem still occurs
    - Noticed that a service was sending a stop control to my NIC, looked on forums for fixes and applied several of them
    - Reformatted computer with old XP (switched from windows 7), updated, installed latest drivers etc and still same problem except now I don't get anything in event viewer when the problem occurs.

The only thing i haven't tried is replacing my NIC, but considering the internet works completely fine for everything but Online games I'm unsure how this could be the problem.

Seen people with a very similar issue on lots of other forums and know one has a proper solution so I don't have much hope for a fix but any help will be much appreciated.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy.

What is your Internet speed right now?

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/

Post the results.

Also I assume your going through a router and is anybody else connected to it. Is this wireless??

3. slunk

slunk Thread Starter

Hey,

This is a wired connection and yes it is connected to a router which arrived by post a few hours ago, I have 3 other machines connected one wired and 2 wireless.

I have 5.99 Download and 0.99 Upload

4. Megabite

Megabite

Understood...

Do the other PCs connected have a similar problem?

5. slunk

slunk Thread Starter

I am unsure as its 2 net books and 1 10yo+ PC which are unable to run any games I know of.
    However they do not disconnect when my gaming PC does.

6. Megabite

Megabite

It seems that you have reformated so that takes care of infection, updated the drivers. The only constant is the Router which you have replaced. So the only thing left is your Service Provider and BTW they don't send out a Router unless they have an issue. I know because I work for VirginMedia here in the UK.

tell us more about the PC laptop or desktop

Try this link to download a small program from this site that will tell you most of the specs we need

TSG System Information Utility

Copy and paste the results from this program in your next post

7. slunk

slunk Thread Starter

Here's my Specs,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor, x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 440822 MB, Free - 10006 MB; E: Total - 35267 MB, Free - 24424 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA78LMT-S2
    Antivirus: None

*Also I made the problem sound worse and informed them that I'm an IT Guy by trade in order to get a router (mainly because I wanted a new N router) as I thought this was the problem.

I connected to my mobile phones internet last night (same ISP as net) and all of the games work which seems to imply a problem with my NIC, although the net works as normal for everything but games, going to borrow a NIC from work on Monday to see if that fixes problem.

8. ilikemetal

ilikemetal

This is very similar to my issue, I hope you get somewhere with this as I've been trying for over a half a year now. I'm starting to think my ISP just sucks.

9. Muhaimen

Muhaimen

well i got acutally almost the same problem, i have 26.42 Mbps download speed and 2.81 Mbps upload and i get dc on Silkroad Online and Team speak while my brother uploading lets say a video on youtube or anything else uploading on internet when he finsh uploading i get internet back on the game and the team speak ;D seriously very very wierd :D ah while hes uploading i can surf on web skype etc only SIlkroad Online, Team speak and MSN lost the internet connection, hope someone help me with that :D

10. slunk

slunk Thread Starter

In case anyone else is still having the issue, it was solved for me by using a Wireless USB NIC instead of my motherboard's inbuilt NIC, seems people with this issue have a working NIC for everything but games.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice