1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange download destroying my ability to play online games

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Svenmonkey, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey Thread Starter

Alright, for the past few days I've been playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Sometimes when I try to play on a server (any server, not just a few) I get a big "Connection Interrupted" message on my screen and a 999 ping. Sometimes I can get into games, but then a bit later I'll get the same thing.

The last time this happened, I closed Wolfenstein and opened SysMetrix (a utility to show system activity) and I saw that, under Net In, there was a fluctuating download of 1.5 to 3.2 KBPS, which is pretty bandwidth-consuming considering I'm on 56K. I ran Ad-Aware to make sure adware wasn't the issue, and I'm clean.

Any idea what the problem is or could be?

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Hi Svenmonkey...<BR><BR>I put ""Connection Interrupted" message on my screen and a 999 ping" into my Google search. And I got several hits for the game "Wolfenstien". Seems your not the only one who gets this. From what I seen at a sight of Wolfenstien game definitions you get pinged by the sight to meter connection speed. The higher the ping number... the slower the connection. a 999 ping means your pinged out. Indicating your connection is interrupted for the moment or constantly.<BR><BR>Here are some of the sights you can look at:<BR>http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/features/articles/pw_faq.shtml<BR>http://wolf.dehn.net/dictionary.php?value=ALL<BR><BR>So it seems that all your problems are linked to a slow and interrupting connection<BR><BR>To begin with I'd make sure your phone line is connected solid and that there is no static in the line. (I just use a phone).<BR><BR>Than we can take it from there :)

3. Svenmonkey

Well I checked the phone line and it's okay. There is no audible static or anything. The line from my computer to the wall is connected snugly on both sides.

The links were quite helpful, too.

I'm wondering whether there could be spyware or adware or something that's causing the unexplained download, though.

4. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Go to this sight and download "HijackThis" and run it:<BR>
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/<BR><BR>Then copy and paste results back to this forum. All instructions on how to do that will be on the page I'm sending you to.

5. Svenmonkey

Logfile of HijackThis v1.94.0
    Scan saved at 9:07:42 PM, on 6/14/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://www.casualplayers.org/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page=C:\WINDOWS\System32\blank.htm
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page=%SystemRoot%\system32\blank.htm
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {1A98BCA2-0BD1-47DE-9710-C7665F7F1FCB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0000CC75-ACF3-4cac-A0A9-DD3868E06852} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1A98BCA2-0BD1-47DE-9710-C7665F7F1FCB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A116A5C1-AD77-446C-992A-F56200B112DB} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gravis Xperience Driver Support] Grxp4exe.exe /init
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegTweak] RegTwk.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Run DAP (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

6. Foamer

Foamer Guest

From what I can tell from the provided list... you look clean.<BR>The DAP files are a download accelerator.<BR>I'm not too keen on them. But don't know if that's your problem. Someone ells who reads this might know if anything ells might be the trouble.<BR><BR>Unless you downloaded anything just before this trouble started... It might simply be that your ISP is having trouble sense this has been a problem just for the past few days. Make sure you don't have your AIM running or any other program while your on line playing. Also... most new computers have "Win-modems" and are highly reliant on the processor. The more it has to do in the background... the more your connection speed is affected.<BR><BR>And if there is anything you can think of that you downloaded before this happened... let us know.<BR><BR>Just a suggestion... you might want to get a firewall and a virus scan for your system :)

7. Svenmonkey

Well it's probably my ISP considering it's AOL. *cringe* I ask my parents to switch every day...

Anyway, I've got Norton Antivirus, I just didn't install it because the subscription ran out and I have never gotten a virus in my 5 or so years of having internet capabilities.

And I got rid of my winmodem a year ago when America's Army came out and I first started playing online a lot. Now I have a hardware modem from Creative.

8. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Good deal on the modem. And good move.<BR>
    I'll keep giving this some thought.<BR>Also wouldn't hurt to try to download an updated modem driver.<BR><BR>And there will be more brilliant people than myself that could have a definite answer for you.<BR>But for now I'm saying it is your ISP. You'll find allot of AOL haters here :D

9. Svenmonkey

Thanks for the help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice