Strange error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tushkahoma

Someone please give me a refresher in DOS. I have an error message that I have found on one of our Win 98 machines I am not sure but I think it is a delete command for everything in the "C" drive. This is what it says:

"The item BTRBOX95.EXE that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. The nearest match based on size date and type is C:\DELTREE.EXE do you want the shortcut to point to this item."

I saw that and was glad the user did not say yes and called me. Does any know how this could have come about?

You are correct. That command will allow you to delete whole directories, although it does require confirmation to action each directory. I can't guess at what has caused the problem though. That command is usually in the DOS directory, not lying in the C: drive.

tushkahoma

Thank you for the reply

I did some further checking and the BTRBOX95.EXE is a btrieve requester for an old version of Great Plains accounting software that is installed on this machine. Instead of deleting the shortcut (just in case they still need it for some reason) I ran msconfig and just disabled it. Now everything is ok. Once again thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts