1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tushkahoma, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

Someone please give me a refresher in DOS. I have an error message that I have found on one of our Win 98 machines I am not sure but I think it is a delete command for everything in the "C" drive. This is what it says:

"The item BTRBOX95.EXE that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. The nearest match based on size date and type is C:\DELTREE.EXE do you want the shortcut to point to this item."

I saw that and was glad the user did not say yes and called me. Does any know how this could have come about?

2. Huon

Huon

You are correct. That command will allow you to delete whole directories, although it does require confirmation to action each directory. I can't guess at what has caused the problem though. That command is usually in the DOS directory, not lying in the C: drive.

3. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply

I did some further checking and the BTRBOX95.EXE is a btrieve requester for an old version of Great Plains accounting software that is installed on this machine. Instead of deleting the shortcut (just in case they still need it for some reason) I ran msconfig and just disabled it. Now everything is ok. Once again thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice