Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange error

665 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tushkahoma 
#1 ·
Someone please give me a refresher in DOS. I have an error message that I have found on one of our Win 98 machines I am not sure but I think it is a delete command for everything in the "C" drive. This is what it says:

"The item BTRBOX95.EXE that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. The nearest match based on size date and type is C:\DELTREE.EXE do you want the shortcut to point to this item."

I saw that and was glad the user did not say yes and called me. Does any know how this could have come about?

#2 ·
You are correct. That command will allow you to delete whole directories, although it does require confirmation to action each directory. I can't guess at what has caused the problem though. That command is usually in the DOS directory, not lying in the C: drive.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply

I did some further checking and the BTRBOX95.EXE is a btrieve requester for an old version of Great Plains accounting software that is installed on this machine. Instead of deleting the shortcut (just in case they still need it for some reason) I ran msconfig and just disabled it. Now everything is ok. Once again thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.