1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Strange File and Folder Names on Micro SD Card; Corruption??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mintynips, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mintynips

mintynips Thread Starter

Hey guys

I recently bought a 64 GB micro SD card for my phone, a Moto G3. Mounted it, formatted it, it worked fine, then yesterday when I tried to play some of my music and noticed that there were no songs in my library.
    The file manager on my phone said that the SD card had "0.00 B" of space left.

After plugging it into my computer I found that all my files were still there, music playable, photos viewable, but the download folder contained the below:
    [​IMG]

When I tried to delete or rename the files I got this message:

[​IMG]

I searched up online and found a supposed fix for it, did this

[​IMG]
    Now the other folders are like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have no idea what I'm doing so any help would be really appreciated please help

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. mintynips

mintynips Thread Starter

A few people in the comments have said that the program contains a virus, and as the computer I'm currently using is a bit old and not very well protected I'd rather not find out myself. It is possible that's what happened, though. I've already got a refund from the seller but I'm going to try and figure out what's happened. Thank you!

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I wouldn't advise using this if it wasn't safe. I use 2 other programs from that website myself.
    If you get it from the official download it's perfectly safe, the author of that website is totally legit.
    See his reply in the first comment.

This is the official download link :- http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/...s/FAKEFLASHTEST_v1.1.1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Up to you if you use it or not, I was simply trying to help.

5. mintynips

mintynips Thread Starter

I really appreciate it! Before I downloaded it, I asked the seller and he admitted that it was "upgraded". I've left some negative product feedback and got a refund. Thank you for telling me about this sort of thing bc tbh I had no idea.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm glad I was able to help and well done on getting the refund and leaving Ebay negative feedback. (y)

It seems there's no way to use those fake SD cards reliably so I would throw it away (after copying any intact files you can find first).

It's probably best to buy SD cards or Usb flash drives from a local source, they are most unlikely to be fakes then.

(If you're finished with this thread please mark it 'Solved')

7. mintynips

mintynips Thread Starter

Thank you a lot! I've bought one locally. A bit more expensive, but hey I'm not just paying for a useless bit of plastic now. Thank you!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :)

A quick tip, if you have photos etc that you would hate to lose always make a couple of backups, don't rely on SD cards or Usb sticks alone, even the genuine ones can have problems.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice