1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flasharry, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I have discovered 945 strange files in my program files folder.
    these files are long numbers with letters included. they look like unfinished kazaa mp3 downloads. i've not used kazaa for
    about 6 months, i uninstalled every trace of kazaa off my pc.
    when i hover over any of the files it says 'file modified august 2001'
    i can't find a program to open the files, if i try to find a program on the net it says 'bad information'.
    i recently installed norton firewall, and mp3checker, i put norton 2003 to check a selection of the files and they were clean.
    the files vary in size frm 500 bites to 1100 kbites.
    i'm scared of deleting them.

my spec's are winXP pro, pent 2-1gig, about 380 ram, 55gig hdv.
    can u help please?

2. raybro

raybro

As you have probably observed on this forum,Running an HJT scan can be a very revealing thing to do. At the very least, it will tell you everything is OK. So I suggest you follow these steps:

First, create a folder in C:\Program Files and label it HiJackThis. This is where you will download the executable file. This is also the folder where your HJT backups will be stored. Click Here to download the file.

Close all windows, including this and any other browser windows. Launch HJT and click the Scan button. When the scan is finished, the Scan button will have changed to Save Log. Click that and save the log to your HJT folder. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING YET. Most of the listed items are harmless or even essential. Wait for recommendations from someone trained in HJT log file interpretation.

Now open the saved log file... In the toolbar at the top of the window under Edit, select Select All. Copy (Ctrl+C) the text and paste (Ctrl+V) it into a reply in this thread.

3. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

Thanx fer yer reply Ray,i forgot i posted sorry. the files turned out to be firewall files .

4. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I don't know wether you guys might be interested, but here goes.....

my buddies forums got hacked, and completely obliterated, so he started a newer forums again, everything seemed fine until i looked at the memberlist, there were about 10 registered normal members and then came 7,500 aprox other members, no details,only about 9-12 numbers and all registered on the same day....nobody i know has been able to figure it out.....what do you think???:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice