1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Folder Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seurat01, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seurat01

seurat01 Thread Starter

I'm having a very strange problem with the folders on my desktop and with Internet Explorer. They appear to be related.

I have Windows XP. When I try to drag a shortcut to a folder on the desktop, I get an error (the message refers to a "Windows Explorer" problem). I then get an option to send a report to Microsoft, which I've done repeatedly. I have been able to open a folder on the desktop and create a shortcut to the relevant application from within the folder, but I simply can't drag and drop an existing shortcut.

Strangely enough, I get the same kind of error when I try to drag and drop the URL in the IE6 web broswer to the "Links" tab (to the right of the browswer window. In this case IE shuts down.

I've checked all over the place and can't find anything that would shed any light on this. I've visited the Microsoft Update site and I've downloaded and installed all relevant updates under XP, so I should be absolutely current.

I would have copied the error message into this post, but I can't highlight the error statement in order to copy it. The message is rather lengthy, so I'm reluctant to try to transcribe the entire thing.

Any insight at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Does the issue occurs in safe mode and safe mode with networking?
    What happen if you create a new folder and a shorcut to that newly created folder?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Run a repair of your system files.

Start - Run - SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /scannow (the space is essential, upper/lower case is not essential)

That will check and repair any damages system files, you may be asked for your XP CD, but often not as a cached copy of most is held on the HDD.

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are closely tied together and share a lot of common routines, which is why it sounds like a damaged file.

If you were expecting an instant cure from sending an error report to MS, be aware that this simply alerts them to trends that could possibly be fixed long term in future Windows Updates, where many people are affected. It does not purport to be anything else.

4. rude

rude

You could try taking a screen shot of the error message.

5. seurat01

seurat01 Thread Starter

Following is an update (thanks to those who have commented):

I tried running "scannow" (twice), and rebooted, with no luck. I also tried to take a screen shot, which worked fine, but I couldn't upload the shot to this forum (it exceeded the 200K limit). I also tried running in "Safe Mode", but I get the same results when I try to drag and drop.

As a result, following is the text of the initial error message that I receive when I try to drag and drop the shortcuts into folders:

"Windows Explorer
    "Error Signature
    "AppName: explorer.exe
    "AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221
    "ModName: qzdrop.dll
    "ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    "Offset: 00035906

I get the same message when I try to drag and drop a URL in the Internet Explorer, except, of course, the first line of the message indicates "Internet Explorer".

It appears that I have a corrupted "qzdrop.dll" file. Does anyone have any idea how I might correct this, short of reloading XP (I'd rather not do that since I've spent a lot of time installing applications, etc.). Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall IE, for example? If so, do I use the XP disk to that?

Also, for what it is worth, I checked the DLL database on www.microsoft.com and found no reference to "qzdrop.dll". I also checked the XP CD and could find nothing.

Thanks,

Wayne

6. rude

rude

Try Tools/Internet Options/Advanced,restore defaults

7. seurat01

seurat01 Thread Starter

I tried that, per your suggestion, but no luck. I also rebooted after restoring the defaults, just to make sure.

Can you think of any plausible reason why qzdrop.dll doesn't show up anywhere on Microsoft's site, or the XP CD?

Thanks,

Wayne

8. rude

rude

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice