1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Happening with database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kula, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

Some time ago, I created a database at work, which is on a network so everyone who had rights to a certain folder on the network could use it. Everything has been fine until recently. The person who used it most, had problems (not related to the database) with her pc. Our IT dept, said something about her profile being corrupt, so they deleted it, and created a new one. Since then, although she can get into the database, she can't link up to the external tables that retrieve the data. It can't be the database, as because we have 'roaming' profiles, I can log on to her machine, using my logon, and use it without problems. Initially, we had to log on to an external server when using the database, to get access to the tables. Our IT can't work it out. IT's solution is for her to log on as me. This isn't an ideal solution. Everyone has access to my desktop, emails, documents. The IT guy is saying it's my database that's the problem, but how can I use it on her machine, but she can't? We've even tried, her logging on to my machine to use it, under her log in, but still it doesn't work. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas, as our IT don't.

2. draceplace

draceplace

What type of database\version is this? What error message does she get? Can the user go to another PC and link the tables? Does she map network drives the same way? Are there ODBC connection/settings in play?

3. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

It's Access 2003, and there are ODBC connections involved. I don't know about the mapping to drives, but in answer to your other question, she can link to them on other pc's, but only if she is logged on as me. I can access them on her pc, but she can't.

4. OBP

OBP

As it is Access 2003 does it have any "User Level Security" in place, ie do you have to Log In to the actual database?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!