1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange happening...xp won't load help plz

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by casquillacciotti, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. casquillacciotti

casquillacciotti Thread Starter

Hey guys..i booted up my machine today as usual and loaded xp on a dual boot system with both o/s's on different hdd's. Xp loaded fine and i did a windows update...everything installed fine and it needed to restart. so i restarted then and loaded vista...i also updated that and then restarted to find that xp won't load when i select it from the boot menu..? does anyone have a clue about wtf is going on here coz i certainly don't
    thanks
    Carlo

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. casquillacciotti

wat do u mean? i knw the program ur talking bout but vista works fine..its xp tht wont load

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

5. casquillacciotti

i checked it and it looks fine...i dunno..coz like i still can access that drive and stuff...just xp won't load for some stupid reason.

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=9
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

6. BobJam

BobJam

Try this site - it has some good info regarding dual boot systems with Vista. If you have the patience to read through it, I think it will give you the info to solve your problem:

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/mbr.html

7. casquillacciotti

ok guys..my dual boot thing has been working properly for ages now..its just today for some unknown reason xp won't boot up...is there some way i can do a system restore for it like in vista or something?

8. BobJam

BobJam

Wait a minute . . . wait a minute . . . your dual boot "thing" is NOT working properly if you can't boot into XP as you say:

". . . xp won't load when i select it from the boot menu . . ."

That "multibooters" web site I gave you has an entire section devoted to BCDEDIT.exe, which is what I think you need to use, especially considering that "warning" you got:

"Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options"

Read up on it at that site first and then use it as the message suggests.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/599296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice