1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange IDE problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digger747, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Built a computer for a friend about 8 months ago,used an Abit NF7 -S2 Motherboard.At the time he just wanted 1 optical drive.I installed a NEC 3520 burner.now he wants a second optical drive. I had a used dvd rom and installed it on IDE 2 as master,crashed computer,wouldnt boot and the wireless keyboard and mouse wouldnt work.Took it back out and installed another Nec burner like the one I had In it and it worked fine.Figured must of been problem with used dvd rom.Didnt think needed 2 burners so I order a BENQ dvd rom and install it as master on second IDE channel and same thing,wont boot,keyboard and mouse quit working.Have sata hard drive installed.Whats going on? should i try and update chipset drivers? Hate to flash bios in case something goes wrong.Maybe try them both on same channel as master-slave or maybe try cable select.If I cant get BENQ dvd rom to work I might just install another NEC burner since that combination seems to work.Seems strange to me,any Ideas?

2. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

Try cable select on both if not try it on the slave other on master

3. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

Puting both optical drives on secondary ide worked once too

4. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Just installed another Nec burner as second optical as master on IDE 2 and works fine.dont know why any other brand wont work but tired of it and think i will call it good.Dont make sense.Guess he will have 2 Nec burners.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice