1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange: It Takes Exactly 2 mins for Explorer Windows to Open!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarleneVile, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarleneVile

DarleneVile Thread Starter

This is definitely the best forum for tech help I've come across in a long time, so maybe someone here is familiar with this problem.

Okay, I use XP Pro, I've got all the updates available, and it works just great accept for one very annoying issue: it takes exactly 2 minutes (i've clocked it) to open up any explorer windows. Like 'my computer', 'my documents' or any specific folder, control panel, and most frustratingly it affects the Internet Explorer (6.0). It takes 2 mins to go from one webpage to another, no matter what, and that totally defeats the purpose of having DSL! Luckily Netscape is not affected, so I'm using that now. Also, I can't open up 'run', 'find', or 'windows explorer', when I click on them nothing happens ever. No other programs are affected, I can click on say, Windows Media Player and it'll open right up. Only if it's in an explorer window will it stall while opening.

Here's what I have: Compaq Presario 5600, XP Pro, 500 and something RAM (can't remember exact number); I have Adaware, Spybot, and Norton Antivirus software

I've posted this query on a few help forums but I haven't had any luck with solutions so far; mostly I've gotten folks convinced that I have spyware or a virus slowing things down, even after I've scanned and scanned with the latest software and found nothing. Is there anyone here who's heard of this problem, or knows what I can do to figure it out? I've just scanned with all my software so I know that won't help. Thanks so much for any info, I'm extremely grateful all suggestions. :)

~Darlene

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So this just occurs with IE or windows explorer and not netscape or some other program accessing the net? Have you tried a repair of IE? You do this from add / remove programs in control panel. Select to remove IE; the next menu will ask if you want to remove it or repair it. Choose to repair and it will then repair IE and tell you to restart. Make a system restore point before you do this.

3. DarleneVile

Yeah, it only happens when opening an explorer window and when opening and using IE. The only other problem is the features 'run', 'search' ('find'), and 'windows explorer' will not open at all. Also, when the problem first started my Adaware and Norton Antivirus programs began running extremely slow until they would freeze altogether. That only lasted about a week, and now they work fine even though I still have the other problems. It's all been happening for a couple months and I can't figure out what caused it.

I will try to repair the IE and see if that helps any. Thank you very much for the suggestion, it's really appreciated! :)

~MsDarlene

4. DarleneVile

This is strange, I was preparing to repair the IE when I realized the only listing for it in the Add/Remove software section was entitled 'Internet Explorer Q867801'. I didn't think much of it, but then I clicked the Change/Remove option and it asked me if I really wanted to uninstall the program, and I clicked yes thinking it would take me more options, but no it just uninstalled it. What's the deal with that??
    ~D

5. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

That Q867801 is a windows update. Microsoft reports it as IE security update.
    Your 2 minute warning sounds like a timeout where the system is waiting for something to load that isn't working right or a virus/worm trying to find home that has been blasted off the internet since Explorer and IE are both internet capabable.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that was a hot fix or update. You can still repair ie; just look for a file ie.inf it is in your windows or winnt folder. Right click on the file and choose install; you will most likely need your windows install disk in the cd drive.

Have you done a scan for adware with something like spybot or ad-aware?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice