1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange latency issues with online games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Leppy, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leppy

Leppy Thread Starter

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for reading / commenting on my post. Let me start by saying im not particularily tech-savvy guy, so if you have some suggestions, you might need to 'dumb them down.' The following issues started roughly 4 months ago, and have driven me all but crazy. (I'll list this in bullet points, because I always make run-on paragraphs otherwise) Okay, onto the problem:

Problem: Online games, (Rift, Wow, BF:BC2) used to work perfectly for me, but one day (coincidentally started after my purchase of a new video card and power pack) they started lagging horrifically. Strangely, my ping stays low.

Example 1: I log into a game of Bad company 2 and have 90 ping, however everyone on my screen will be 'rubber-banding', and I'll sneak up on someone, fire an entire clip into them, at which point they spin around and blast me. Its as if I am several (seems like 4-5) seconds behind everyone else in game. Or, I'll hop into a heli and begin flying, pass over a tank facing towards me, have time to continue past it, spin around but then it'll register that I've been hit and I'll spontaneously explode.

Example 2: I log onto wow, everything is fine on the character screen, and I get into game as usual. Once I'm on though, I notice that everyone else is running on the spot, my text doesnt display, and I cant use abilities. It'll stay like this for a maximum of 5 minutes, where all of a sudden everyone on the screen does their last 5 minutes worth of actions, and my ping (both home and world ms) will be at 0 / 0 at this during this time.

Obscure observations: Whilst I'll be caught in this 'lag-spike' (on wow for example), I can minimise the game and my internet will run perfectly. My net hasnt skipped a beat, excluding logging into games.

Obscure observation 2: On my secondary computer (Linked to my network wirelessly, primary pc is connected with a cable) everything is running fine. I can get into, and play online games, without issue.

Final, and most obscure of all: Rarely I'll get a fantastic connection with my router (after restarting it) and all my games will run perfectly. I had a period of about 10 days where I just didn't turn off my router and it was bliss. However, the router needed a reboot, which left me back in this situation.

Possibly related: The only hardware and/or software update I've had is purchasing and having a new GFX card installed (460 gtx) as well as a 500w Power Supply. Unfortunately, I'm not great at wiring, so reversing the job is not possible without paying my extremely overpriced Techy $75 an hour.

Attempted fixes:
    Updating router firmware
    Connecting to different router ports
    Opening Port-forwarding on gaming related IP's
    Replacing Router entirely
    Reformatting PC
    Various registry tweaks suggested online
    Disabling windows firewall and AV programs
    Updating every driver on my PC
    Connecting my secondary PC to all the hardware on primary, it worked perfectly
    I took it back to the computer store where I upgraded it, told him of the problem. He connected it to his network and it ran perfectly. :-/
    I've probably tried a few other things, but its just a blur of failed attempts at fixing this issue

PC Specs below:
    Processor: Intel i-5-750
    RAM: 4gb
    GFX Card: Purchased with Nvidia GT220, upgraded to Nvidia GTX460 SE.
    Power: Updated from 350W to 500W
    Router: Belkin N-300 Surf Wireless Modem/Router

(Full PC spec page) http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bi...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=4079858&prodTypeId=12454

Finally, I'd like to apologise for the format of my post, but I thought it'd help me remember everything I needed to include. Thank you all very much for your time reading, and any suggestions you may have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice