1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Linksys router/Windows 7 issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tomdkat, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

So, I replaced a Linksys WRT120N router with a Belkin N600 router. I took the Linksys router home to see how well it would work for me. Cool.

Normally, I use a Netgear WGR614 v7 wireless G router at home but I replaced it this morning with the Linksys WRT120N to see how it would work for me.

I have four wired connections:
    • Linux box (my primary system)
    • Windows XP Pro SP3 box
    • Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) SP1 box
    • Linksys WRT54GL wireless router (which serves as a VoIP router)

With the Netgear router in place, all wired devices function as expected. I can ping all of them and the computers can access the Internet ok.

When I have the Linksys router in place, I can't ping or connect to the Windows 7 system. The other computers and the Linksys WRT54GL router work just fine and can access the Internet just fine. With the Windows 7 system, nothin, nathan, nada.

The Linksys WRT120N had its DHCP pool set to issue IP addresses in the range .100-.150 where the Netgear router was set to issue IP address in the .2-.50 range. I tried changing the Linksys WRT120N to issue IP addresses in the .2-.50 range and the Windows 7 system didn't work. I tried changing the Netgear router to issue IP addresses in the .100-.149 range and the Windows 7 box WORKED! So, then I put the Linksys WRT120N back in place, leaving it set to issues address in the .100-.150 range and the Windows 7 box didn't work.

Right now, I have the Netgear router in place and all systems are working as desired.

During ALL of my testing, I would login to the Netgear and Linksys routers and look at the DHCP client list. I could see ALL systems getting IP addresses assigned in the proper range, INCLUDING the Windows 7 system. So, for example, the Windows 7 box would get the IP address 192.168.2.102 assigned but I couldn't ping that address. I just wouldn't get any replies back. If I pinged 192.168.2.103, and that address had not been assigned to any system, I would get "destination unreachable" messages from ping. So, my pings to the Windows 7 made it ok but the pongs were never sent, for whatever reason.

Any ideas on why my Windows 7 system would have issues with the Linksys WRT120N router?

Thanks!

Peace...

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes a NIC and whatever is at the other end of the cable just don't auto sync a speed properly.

In Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - for the 'Speed & Duplex' property try different values beginning with '100 Mbps full duplex' and '10 Mbps full duplex.' If still no go ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. tomdkat

Is there a way to see what speed and duplex are being used by the Ethernet adapter?

Also, if there was a speed negotiation issue at work, why would the DHCP address assignment work? Or was it that the router had issued the IP address and recorded doing so but the actual speed negotiation had not finished so the workstation never fully configured the assigned address information? Since the ping of the IP address assigned to the system in question didn't return any errors, just no packets, maybe the address assignment partially worked. :)

In any event, I'll play around with the speed and duplex settings and see if anything changes.

Thanks!

Peace...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Network Connections right click on the ethernet connection - Status. The Speed is given there. I do not know how to determine the duplex.

Short answer: I dunno. :)

Longer answer: sometimes the speed auto sync partially works such that there is a connection but the networking is very slow. Thus, I can imagine that it could work well enough to ask for an IP configuration, maybe even to configure it (have you tried an ipconfig /all?), but not well enough to actually communicate.

5. tomdkat

Gotcha. Can you tell I use Windows 7 all the time? :) lol

Makes sense. I'll put the Linksys router back in place and will connect a keyboard/mouse to the system so I can look at it more conveniently. RIght now, I login to the system via Remote Desktop so having a network connection is critical. :) lol

I ran an ipconfig /all command but the system is currently connected to the Netgear router, so everything's working. :) I'll run it again when I have the system connected to the Linksys router.

Peace...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice