1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Looking Temp Files!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GoJoAGoGo, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi:

My system is Windows XP Home SP3. I thought temp files were usually found in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. There are 59 files named "Set.Tmp" in C:\Windows. I use several "Temp File" removal programs, CCleaner, EasyCleaner and ATF Cleaner but none of these programs found the 59 files. I just installed Revo Uninstaller and used the "Junk Files Cleaner" tool, it found the 59 files. The files location are C:\Windows\Set2A.Tmp and range from "Set2A - Set59". The files are all "Read-only"and I can open them with WordPad.

Are these files safe to remove? I heard all Temp Files are safe to remove but since 3 out of 4 Temp File removal program failed to find them and the files aren't located in the C:\Windows\Temp folder, I'm concerned.

Thanks ;)

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Do a search for .tmp and delete everything it finds.

3. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Bernardo, thanks for your reply:

So then by doing the .tmp search it's safe to delete these files even though they are located in another place other than the C:\Windows\Temp folder? Why did CCleaner, EasyCleaner and ATF Cleaner miss these Set.Tmp files? That's my main concern.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You can safely delete the contents of these temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

If you do a lot of installing and uninstalling and updating programs, I recommend deleting the contents of these temp folders at least once or twice a month.

I'd be real careful what I delete from the C:\WINDOWS folder.

ToniArts EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 used to be a great program for finding and deleting temp files, but it hasn't been updated in years, so I caution you using it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi flavallee:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I felt these 59 Set.Tmp files were perhaps suspicious sitting in the C:\Windows folder. Right now I have them in the Recycle Bin and will wait a several days to see if my system really does need them.

6. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    After doing a Google search for some more information, it appears these 59 Set.Tmp files were created by the Windows XP SP3 update which I did do about a month ago. I read a few posts at another forum that mentioned this type of Set.Tmp file but the files were located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, unlike my situation of finding them in C:\Windows folder. :confused:

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If they've been sitting in the Recycle Bin and your computer and your programs are working okay, it's probably safe to delete them.

Just be careful about deleting files from inside the C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\System32 folders.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!