Strange Looking Temp Files!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Hi:

My system is Windows XP Home SP3. I thought temp files were usually found in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. There are 59 files named "Set.Tmp" in C:\Windows. I use several "Temp File" removal programs, CCleaner, EasyCleaner and ATF Cleaner but none of these programs found the 59 files. I just installed Revo Uninstaller and used the "Junk Files Cleaner" tool, it found the 59 files. The files location are C:\Windows\Set2A.Tmp and range from "Set2A - Set59". The files are all "Read-only"and I can open them with WordPad.

Are these files safe to remove? I heard all Temp Files are safe to remove but since 3 out of 4 Temp File removal program failed to find them and the files aren't located in the C:\Windows\Temp folder, I'm concerned.

Thanks ;)

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Bernardo, thanks for your reply:

So then by doing the .tmp search it's safe to delete these files even though they are located in another place other than the C:\Windows\Temp folder? Why did CCleaner, EasyCleaner and ATF Cleaner miss these Set.Tmp files? That's my main concern.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You can safely delete the contents of these temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

If you do a lot of installing and uninstalling and updating programs, I recommend deleting the contents of these temp folders at least once or twice a month.

I'd be real careful what I delete from the C:\WINDOWS folder.

ToniArts EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 used to be a great program for finding and deleting temp files, but it hasn't been updated in years, so I caution you using it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Hi flavallee:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I felt these 59 Set.Tmp files were perhaps suspicious sitting in the C:\Windows folder. Right now I have them in the Recycle Bin and will wait a several days to see if my system really does need them.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
After doing a Google search for some more information, it appears these 59 Set.Tmp files were created by the Windows XP SP3 update which I did do about a month ago. I read a few posts at another forum that mentioned this type of Set.Tmp file but the files were located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, unlike my situation of finding them in C:\Windows folder. :confused:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hi flavallee:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I felt these 59 Set.Tmp files were perhaps suspicious sitting in the C:\Windows folder. Right now I have them in the Recycle Bin and will wait a several days to see if my system really does need them.
After doing a Google search for some more information, it appears these 59 Set.Tmp files were created by the Windows XP SP3 update which I did do about a month ago. I read a few posts at another forum that mentioned this type of Set.Tmp file but the files were located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, unlike my situation of finding them in C:\Windows folder. :confused:
If they've been sitting in the Recycle Bin and your computer and your programs are working okay, it's probably safe to delete them.

Just be careful about deleting files from inside the C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\System32 folders.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online