1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange network issue...bad motherboard?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldhat, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldhat

oldhat Thread Starter

So I have network connectivity problems. Onboard NIC. Win XP SP2

If I ping inside the LAN, no problems.

If I ping the outside WAN IP, I get intermittent dropped packets. Every minute or so, packets will drop...usually a dozen failed pings later I'm back and able to surf the net.

Keep in mind that my LAN connectivity is unfazed the whole time, rock solid.

This is on a corporate network, with 30 other pc's, and none of them have this issue.

I installed a known good PCI NIC card, but it was even worse: every 3rd packet was dropped ruthlessly.

Also, my sound goes out periodically, once a day maybe. A simple restart gets it going again.

Today, my USB devices are no longer recognized, though they all work fine elsewhere.

So......my ASUS m/b is failing on me, almost a year old...right? Or did I miss something?

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    It could be an issue with the motherboard. But the first thing you might want to try is updating the chipset drivers for the machine.

Given that you are on a corporate network, you might have to pass this on to your tech support. Getting outside help could cause issues with your support group, so it is best left in their hands.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice