1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange new event showing up in event viewer.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by John Sparkman, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Sparkman

John Sparkman Thread Starter

I keep an eye on the event viewer and a new event I haven't seen before has showed up. The event is under the application heading as information and the source is (ESENT). It reads as follows:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 8/16/2004
    Time: 5:20:33 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ALPHA
    Description:
    wuauclt (1272) The database engine 5.01.2600.0000 started.

Everything is the same on the next three events except the discriptions which are as follows:

wuaueng.dll (1272) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new instance (0).

wuaueng.dll (1272) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the instance (0).

wuauclt (1272) The database engine stopped.

This happens several times a day. Everything seams to be working properly but I very interested in what this data is trying to tell me.

Thanks
    John

2. wedor

wedor

That's part of the Windows Automatic Update.

3. John Sparkman

I thought it had something to do with automatic updates, but I had not seen this in the event viewer before yesterday. Is this something new or is there a problem? I did a search for "wuauclt" and it comes back as a Windows ME automatic update process and I'm running XP.

John

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I believe it's part of the V5 Windows Update, which is new. Many updates still go through the V4 Windows Update which you all know and love. :)

5. John Sparkman

Thanks for the replies. It looks like your right. I just noticed that my automatic update page under system properties has changed. Looks better than the old one. :rolleyes:
    I thought this new update feature was part of SP2, which I don't have installed yet.

Thanks again
    John

Attached Files:

6. Stone Dog

Stone Dog

Could someone post a pic of the old automatic update page for comparison?

7. Stone Dog

Stone Dog

This is correct, because I just went to the Windows Update page yesterday, and this wuauclt.exe is now showing up in my task manager. It appears to load up when first booting up, and then sticks around for 5 or 10 minutes before going away on its own. However, I do have automatic updates turned off, so I would really like to put a stop to this. I am afraid to erase it though, as it might cause problems for when I do try to manually update. Any suggestions?

8. John Sparkman

Since it doesn't take up much in the way of resorces when it running, I can't see any point is getting rid of it. It came as part of one of the last windows security updates that I downloaded.
    I'm happy with it since I now know what it is.

John

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/262603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice