1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange "No Signal"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickichino, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickichino

nickichino Thread Starter

Hi, prior to starting a new post I already did a forum search and read a lot of the results but non of it worked for me / wasn’t exactly quite like my problem.

I moved my perfectly working computer from my bedroom to my living room and after installing all the cables (power, monitor, key, mouse, etc) back as it should be, I powered on the computer. However, instead of hearing a beep sound (I don’t exactly remember this but I think there should be a beep) and the screen starting up, I got a black screen with a No Signal message. I tried rechecking all the connections again and again but nothing helped. I’ve had a similar problem with another computer before but somehow after leaving the computer there for about 1-2 months, I was able to turn it on and the normal screen came up as if nothing was wrong with it (weird!). Both computers are identically build can the problem come from faulty hardware? Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+
    Mobo: ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 Geforce 6100
    HD: Seagate 80Gb ATA
    RAM: 512 Mb Corsair Value Pack
    Monitor: 17” Philips LCD 170S6

* I later added a GeForce 6200 TC (PCI-E) card into each of the computers. The computer that I’m having the problem with now didn’t have any problem with the graphics card. However, the other computer had the “No Signal” monitor problem when I installed the graphics card. That time I tried removing the card and going back to the onboard graphics but the problem was still there until I left it sitting there for 1-2 months as mentioned before.

Sorry for the trouble and the long text. I hope you understand the situation. Thanks in advance for any help/advice on fixing the problem.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "No Signal" message does not come from the computer, it is internally generated by the monitor when it powers up and no signal from the PC is detected.

It is basically telling you in this case (no beep at boot-up) that the PC has failed to boot at all, not even to the BIOS.

Another simple check to see if it has at least booted to BIOS is that the Caps Lock light on the keyboard should toggle On and Off each time the Caps Lock key is pressed. If that does not happen, the the PC is not even making it to the preliminary stage.

If the change occurred after a shift, re-seat all cards and memory modules etc. It is most likely a poor internal connection.

3. qwasqaws

qwasqaws

I know this is a long time ago but I thought I'd reply in case anyone searches for this. It happened to a friend of mine and he replaced every piece of hardware trying to find out the problem and nothing worked. Then he just plugged it into a different wall socket and it worked fine. I cant say I know why, I'm no electrician, but thats it: plug it in somewhere else, see if that works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice