1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange noises!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blueflamingo, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blueflamingo

blueflamingo Thread Starter

Help! My computer makes strange buzzing/ virating noises for several minutes after boot up. It has no other problems at all; no viruses, no sptware, and never crashes. It's also very fast and does as it's told. LOL It's an HP Pavilion less than 2 years old.

2. suesman

suesman

It goes away after it's warmed up a bit? Might wanna look into a HD utility to check it's health.

Maybe tighten up the screws to any fans in the machine. I just done this a few days ago, because I was having a vibration noise & it went away.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have described the classic sign of a failing fan. My advice is the next time it's been sitting for some time and you're going to start it up, remove the cover. When the noise starts, you can pretty easily determine the source of the sound. I like to use a rod or screwdriver to touch to various components and hold right in front of my ear, transfers the sound very well.

4. suesman

suesman

Kinda like listening for a bad tappet in an old motor with solid lifters? Cool never thought of that man.

5. darkjedi

darkjedi

we have the same problem at work , eveytime we boot , noices come out the powersupply , we hit the fan and the noice goes away. try to do that and change the power supply as soon as possible

6. blueflamingo

Thanks guys! I've run diagnostics on everything numerous times and it all passes perfectly. It must be the fan then. I don't know if I'm brave enough to "open her up" though!

7. Brockman

Brockman

Maybe since being from Texas it has a lot of dust in it. LOL

8. blueflamingo

LOL! Ain't that the truth?! Well I was thinking about getting some more RAM installed and maybe another HD, so perhaps they can fix the fan while they're in there. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice