strange noises!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blueflamingo

Help! My computer makes strange buzzing/ virating noises for several minutes after boot up. It has no other problems at all; no viruses, no sptware, and never crashes. It's also very fast and does as it's told. LOL It's an HP Pavilion less than 2 years old.

It goes away after it's warmed up a bit? Might wanna look into a HD utility to check it's health.

Maybe tighten up the screws to any fans in the machine. I just done this a few days ago, because I was having a vibration noise & it went away.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You have described the classic sign of a failing fan. My advice is the next time it's been sitting for some time and you're going to start it up, remove the cover. When the noise starts, you can pretty easily determine the source of the sound. I like to use a rod or screwdriver to touch to various components and hold right in front of my ear, transfers the sound very well.

Kinda like listening for a bad tappet in an old motor with solid lifters? Cool never thought of that man.

we have the same problem at work , eveytime we boot , noices come out the powersupply , we hit the fan and the noice goes away. try to do that and change the power supply as soon as possible

blueflamingo

Thanks guys! I've run diagnostics on everything numerous times and it all passes perfectly. It must be the fan then. I don't know if I'm brave enough to "open her up" though!

blueflamingo

LOL! Ain't that the truth?! Well I was thinking about getting some more RAM installed and maybe another HD, so perhaps they can fix the fan while they're in there. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online