1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange PC audio feedback -- please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hanguker, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hanguker

hanguker Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you might help me. I have onboard AC/97 sound with the newest C-media drivers installed (June 2006). This is on an MSI Pentium IV board running XP Pro/SP2. This is my problem:

1. When I drag the scrollbar in my browser the speakers hiss, but not if I use the middle mouse button. This only happens if I 'grab' the scrollbar with the mouse pointer and drag up and down (very annoying).

2. When I drag an XP window around the screen I get the same hiss.

3. When a game loads up I usually get a hissing during the title screen.

4. Lots of other places where graphics come into play...(sorry vague)

This was happening before my new audio driver install. I had installed that to try to fix the problem. I don't know exactly when it started as its been a nag for awhile. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning hanguker, this problem you are experienceing is usually due to poorly filtered DC supply to the affected items.

In your case the sound is being interfered with the processing information.

I would suspect your motherboard has a problem, most likely the filtering electrolytic capacitors have become dis-functional.

Can you carefully inspect them for any signs of bulging on the tops, often some chemical leakage actually may also be apparent.
    See www.badcaps.net for more info.

Expect to have to replace your M/B.
    There is a remote chance the power supply may also be involved, this could be tried.

If any capacitor bulging is evident treat the problem as urgent, this often results in other failures.

Cheers, qldit.

3. hanguker

hanguker Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback qldit,

The way you're descibing it, the problem sounds grim. :(

My PSU is fairly new and well-made so I don't think that is the problem. I'll try checking the capacitors once I can get my PC dug out. I looked at the website you linked and it seems pretty scary! ...with all that acid and bulging going on! Hard to believe this coming from such a good mfg as MSI but you never know, it is a few years old now (865PE Neo2).

I'd like to do a full upgrade this winter to Core2 and would prefer not to change my motherboard yet. Are there any other alternatives? Maybe buy a cheap PCI sound card? Also, could there be a conflict somewhere...though everything looks fine in the device manager?

Thanks

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also make sure that the cables to the speakers are as far removed physically as possible from the video and mouse cables, at the rear of the PC and as they run to the devices.

Lack of segregation coupled with poorly shielded cables can cause interaction that is audible.

13°C today qldit, real heatwave....

5. qldit

qldit

Yes regrettably it is normally caused by the actual power supplied to the devices that becomes imprinted with different circuit effect.
    As Kiwi says there is a remote possibility that it might be leads but this is remote from my experience.

There are usually about eight ot so larger capacitors usually arranged in a complex decoupling arrangement on the board near the processor that I would suspect.
    (These are usually 2000 mfds or 2200 mfds)

I regret to advise that MSI boards commonly are affected.
    The problem has a lot of symptoms, from repeated odd crashes, unreliablity through to sound being affected.
    As the problem progresses, the different circuits begin to be affected and sometimes interact very adversely.
    (but I am more often wrong, so check first)

Hi, Kiwi, lovely morning here 24, some cloud, perfectly still.
    Sorry to hear you are having it hot there! (LOL!)

qldit.

6. hanguker

hanguker Thread Starter

Thanks a lot you guys,

I'll check the board out and keep you posted as to what I find. Enjoy the nice weather! We've been having rain dumped on us in South Korea for as long as I can remember. Terrible monsoon this year with heavy flooding!

Cheers.

7. qldit

qldit

Your'e welcome hanguker, the world has gone crazy, here we are having water re-strictions and a drought and you have more than you need!

Being in your location may be helpful for a board repair, some of those chaps are really clever in those repair shops there.

Isn't it remarkable how the internet makes the world into a shrunken screen with no borders!

Cheers, and keep dry!
    qldit.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Now 14.2°C, have to get out the shorts soon...
    Going to watch us whip the SA team tonight qldit?

9. qldit

qldit

I don't like watching massacres!!
    Just remember to wear your usual socks and sandals!
    How about that lady cop! LOL!
    qldit.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Our Police are very versatile....
    Interestingly as it's now a legal activity since last year, she would not be breaking the law. I might consider it as a sideline, to suppliment the income as well? Should earn about 5c per hour extra I would estimate, as long as I only worked on Braille Week?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice