1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange pc happening

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tewitt1949, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tewitt1949

tewitt1949 Thread Starter

Hi all. I have a new hp laptop that has 8.1 from the factory. No major problems but lately I noticed when its done booting up it automatically gets on the internet.

Also I've noticed I don't have to be on the internet (I've shut down the browser and back to my desktop), if I get an email, the pc will make a dig a ling sound and a little window will appear in the upper left corner of the screen as to who sent the email. I have no idea why this started. I haven't installed anything.

sounds like the internet is running in the background.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're probably in range of a Wi-Fi network to which you have connected and set to 'connect automatically.' To reverse this automatic connection click on the Network icon in the Notification Area - View Connections Settings - Manage known networks - and "forget" that network.

3. droidmaverick

droidmaverick

auto-connecting to wifi is completely usual

4. PerikiyoXD

PerikiyoXD

When you create your account in Windows 8 / 8.1, you "allow" it to access your mail. Is a Windows 8 app called Mail. Can found it at Start > Type "Mail" > Click at the result at the right side, searching form.
    It will open the mail client.

5. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

when creating a new user by signing into an email account you let it access your email. the safer way to do it is to create a local user. and i believe the op is referring to a browser opening up, not that it connects to the internet, and this behavior is not normal. there could be an app which connects on startup, or somehow the browser got placed in startup. i am not too familiar with 8, but it doesn't seem right. all of the computers that i have worked on or played with do not do this.

6. PerikiyoXD

PerikiyoXD

BTW, why all people say Win 8 is so different, while it only have changed the UI Style, added Windows Apps and some bullcrap...

7. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

actually, the uefi was kind of a big deal, and the underlying structure has more security built in. it hasn't changed dramatically, hence my ability to work on them. just changing the user interface was not much of a stretch to me when i figured out that the easiest thing is to stay in the metro side, and if you want anything, just start typing. it pops right up and you hit enter.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice