Strange pc problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stonedking

Hi, so as the title suggest I am encountering one of the weirdest problem in all my 10 years of pc use, my friend has given me this system for repair saying he wanted to try a new processor ( Intel Xeon E5420) that came already modded to support his motherboard (Acer FG43D or after more research also called Veriton X480G) which has an LGA775 socket and chipset g43 which should be compatible with the modded CPU, but here comes the tricky part the motherboard should also be compatible with Intel Core2Duo E8400 and it dosen't work either, but suprisingly using an Intel Pentium E2220 dose that job, I tried to upgrade the bios to the latest verion but neither the modded xeon or the core2duo worked, then I realised the motherboard actually support only Dual-Channel DDR3 800/1066 MHz non-ECC and I was using 4GB Hynix DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 which from my knowledge is single-channled memory, thus the reason for cpu incompatibility, now I wounder would be possible to modifiy the bios in any way so it will make the single-cannled memory work with the xeon cpu? The system he is using at the moment is running: Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU Intel Pentium E2220 @ 2.40GHz
RAM 4 GB Single-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: Acer FG43D
Graphics SAMSUNG ([email protected]) 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Storage 149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-60PSA0

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Quite apart from why it may not work I think you are confused regarding ram
As you so correctly say the ram on that motherboard, is controlled by the chipset rather than by the processor
The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots and is of dual channel architecture
Therefore it has two slots per channel
It is the motherboard and chipset - in your case that decides the max ram that can be used and indeed if it is dual channel
Your G43 express chipset
https://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/prodbrief/319946.pdf
has capability for
Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support Delivers up to 17 GB/s (DDR3 1066 dual 8.5 GB/s) of bandwidth and 8 GB maximum supported memory size for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing
The motherboard is DDR3 ram with as I said four slots

So when you say
4GB Hynix DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 which from my knowledge is single-channled
You are as I explained not correct.
It is not the ram stick that determines dual channel

So on the evidence available you could use 4 x 2GB populating all slots with two sticks in each channel
OR you could use for just one other example 2 X 2GB with one stick in each channel
You may presume that the max ram per slot is 2GB on that motherboard

stonedking

Quite apart from why it may not work I think you are confused regarding ram
As you so correctly say the ram on that motherboard, is controlled by the chipset rather than by the processor
The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots and is of dual channel architecture
Therefore it has two slots per channel
It is the motherboard and chipset - in your case that decides the max ram that can be used and indeed if it is dual channel
Your G43 express chipset
https://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/prodbrief/319946.pdf
has capability for

The motherboard is DDR3 ram with as I said four slots

So when you say

You are as I explained not correct.
It is not the ram stick that determines dual channel

So on the evidence available you could use 4 x 2GB populating all slots with two sticks in each channel
OR you could use for just one other example 2 X 2GB with one stick in each channel
You may presume that the max ram per slot is 2GB on that motherboard
Thankx a bunch for clearing this out, I was just confused since last night I tried 1 GB of ram from Corsair and the both the core2duo and the Xeon worked fined though the Xeon for some reason made the bios freeze the windows loaded okay.Regards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online