Strange Phone Call

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Robert the Bruce

Banned
I received a phone-call recently, a lady from India or Pakistan was on the line. She told me she was from 'teamviewer.com' and she asked me if my computer was sometimes running slow and that she had reason to believe that my computer was (or is) infected with a virus. She told me she was acting on behalf of my ISP (Virgin Media) and that this virus would slowly but surely become worse and worse until my computer would be barely running at all. She then offered to help. I decided to go along with this for a short spell just to see where it would lead.
She told me to go to http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx and from there click on 'Join Session.' At that point a window popped up prompting me to 'run', 'save' or 'cancel.' It was at this point that I decided enough was enough. I clicked on 'cancel' and hung up the phone. Am I being paranoid ? Or is this kind of thing an attempt at hacking into my computer ? Was this a genuine offer of help or a scam ?

Robert the Bruce

Banned
Thanks for the speedy replies. She wouldn't have got my bank account details in a million years. I looked teamviewer up in Wikipedia and what I read in there was enough to make me think that it was indeed a scam.

team viewer is used to remote your pc
its quite an experience seeing your mouse move lol

Yes i have been remoted to set up a irc chat program:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online