1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange problem in System Configuration Utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zubatron, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zubatron

Zubatron Thread Starter

Ok before I get flamed I work for AOL Tech Support. Yes yes I know I know, I don't enjoy it but it pays the bills.

Ok so I get calls of all kinds here ranging fromt he stupid to the just plain weird and I came across 2 calls abck to back who had the same problem in the System Configuration utility and was wondering if anyone on ehre knew what it might mean cause I was at a loss.

Just to give a little background on both computers I was teching over the phone both had Windows XP. one had SP1 and the other had SP2.

The First Call:

It was a Dell Computer with Windows XP SP2. He had previously had AOL 9.0 Optimized installed on his computer and then uninstalled and reinstalled AOL 9.0 VR (Vista Ready). He was complaining of experiencing some slowness and AOL freezing. So I checked his processess and they were 29 or 30 which is a good number for XP so then I proceeded to do the normal AOL fixes which fixed the AOL's slowness and freezing. So I thoguht I should try one more thing so I did a MSCONFIG just to see his system configuration utility and to my surprise he was in selective startup and instead of there being a check mark in Load Startup Items there was a green box and all the checkmark boxes were green. Everytime we clicked on Load Startup items the green box would disappear and the text would gray out.

The Second Call:

It was a Compaq Presario with Windows XP SP1. Experiencing same problems as above, AOL slow and freezing. Checked processes and it was 29. So we first opened MSCONFIG and the system configuration utility looked the same as I described above. So I skipped that and did the AOL fixes and AOL was fine.

So what exactly is going on with these people's system configuration utlity? This isn't the first time I came across this in Windows XP. I had an old call with this same problem in Windows XP but don't remember which service pack it was.

So my only guess is spyware or a virus???

2. Sponsor

3. Zubatron

Zubatron Thread Starter

4. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...I would say that the green box appears when a user goes to the startup tab and disables items without first ticking the 'selective startup' button on the general tab. >>or ticks selective startup and doesn't disable any items on the startup tab...

I'd wait for other opinions, but I don't think what you're reporting is spyware related in and of itself...

>>EDIT: Indeed, if you leave selective startup ticked, then go to the startup tab and click 'enable all', the check mark will turn to a green box.

5. Zubatron

Zubatron Thread Starter

Ok I jsut tested that out on my computer and it did turn into a green box. But the strange thing that was happening with these people is when we clicked on load startup items only the load startup items text would gray out and we couldn't click on it again unless we canceled out of it. It happened on both computers.

6. tony007

tony007 Banned

The green box seems to appear after a restart.

7. The Hound

The Hound

I don't know what else to add...unless it links to a particular issue (none which you've mentioned) or it could be pinned to a particular combination of O/S version (there are more than one here) and applications (more information than we could gather at this point), I guess you just leave the thread open and see if anyone else has an idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

>>EDIT: ...Changes in msconfig only take effect after clicking apply, ok, and rebooting. You'll know that's happened by the dialog box which will open after reboot telling you that changes have been made, etc., check the box to not show this again.

8. Zubatron

Zubatron Thread Starter

Also another thing I should note, both of the calls these people had no memory of doing a MSCONFIG selective startup, they were supposedly the "only" people who used the computer, yet they don't remember doing a MSCONFIG.

And I do know about the box that appears every time you start up the computer when you do a MSCONFIG, but it never popped up but they could of clicked do not show this message again box.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice