1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Problem... Network Slowdown

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rez, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rez

Rez Thread Starter

Ok, I have a PC on my network acting as a local test server for php scripts and various other things and after a while, the connection between my workstation and the test machine becomes progressively slower across the network and things start grinding to a halt. I use Dreamweaver to remotely access and save files onto the computer and it becomes so slow that even Dreamweaver struggles to appear and takes so long to save and access any files. When viewing the test web pages across the network it is also extremely slow at this point and transferring any files. The PC also cannot access the internet at any decent speed because the network just grinds to a halt seemingly. This problem occured for the first time several weeks ago so I did a system restore. After this, the power supply cut out so I had to replace it but after fixing the machine, the problem still exists and it's starting to annoy me.

I could try fitting a new network card, currently uses onboard ethernet, but this would mean having to remove another PCI device which I would rather not do as I need them. If anyone has any other ideas, I would be very grateful to hear them!

Thank you in advance.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

No, it's very likely that the onboard NIC is to blame. On board NIC's steal processing power from the CPU. While this is pretty much unnoticeable when surfing the Net, processing LAN traffic, especially large transfers, is a whole different issue. It takes a lot out of the CPU to process the incoming/outgoing packets, not to mention having to read/write files that are being transfered etc. It pretty much all means the system is going to grind to a halt; just like you're experiencing.

A PCI NIC is the answer to those problems. Since you say you don't have any slots left, and going against some other advice I've given recently, you might want to consider toying with a USB Ethernet adapter. There have been several people who've had problems getting them to work reliably, but there might be some good USB-Ethernet adapters/drivers out there.

Or pick up a motherboard with the number of PCI slots that you need. Then transfer the CPU, et al. to the new board. You'll need to reinstall the OS though, so that would definitely involve some down time...

3. Bottleopener

Bottleopener

5mi11er has a good point here. Ive been toying with a USB NIC at work, linksys to be exact. The easiest way I have found to get it online,was to copy all the driver files to a usb flash stick, into a folder on the stick. Then when its looking for the driver, browse to it and voila! The cd works just as well, I just use the flash drive cause im constantly on the move and dont have time to lug around a pack of CD's ;)

*note - USB nic cards are recommended for win2k and above, win 98 and even winme in some cases have issues with usb flash memory and usb nic cards.

Bottle
    Bottle

4. Rez

Rez Thread Starter

Hmm, but why the slowing down in the first place? It never used to happen.

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

I can only guess that you've only recently started transfering large amounts of data over the LAN to that machine.

In any case to get from what used to be good speed you used to have and the bad speed you've got now, something had to have changed. If it wasn't something that was done explicitly, it is possible that something could have been done without your knowledge by the OS or other software on the system(s).

Have you checked for viruses/worms/spyware etc. ?

6. Rez

Rez Thread Starter

I fitted a new network card now and it seems to have resolved the problem. I'm thinking the onboard has just died because it's been used for 2 years quite heavily and the motherboard (PC Chips brand) isn't exactly great. The network card was small enough to fit under the graphics card without restricting/covering the fan too much.

Cheers for your help.

7. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You're welcome, and thanks for letting us know the outcome.

-Scott

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice