1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange problem with startup.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JamesRandom, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesRandom

JamesRandom Thread Starter

Two days ago, i noticed that during startup, the logon process was taking much longer than usual. The Harddrive, for some reason, was in a cycle of activity, not ALOT just a little bit and the sort of sound it would make was a "buzz buzzzzz click - buzz buzzzzz click", the system would freeze momentarily at each click.

After rebooting a few times, it would log on at normal speed, but then this problem would occur again and, after a while, freeze the system completely for a good two minutes or so.

Sometimes I would get "a host process has stopped working", but yesterday I was cheerfully presented with the blue screen of death.

KERNEL_INLINE_DATA_ERROR - it performed the dump and restarted.
    Problem remains.

I went through vista's equivalent of MS config and cut off some of the crap that starts up
    Problem still remains.

I ran a memory test this morning: No problems found.
    Problem still remains.

Any ideas? Im lost.

2. JamesRandom

Any ideas at all?

3. JamesRandom

right i'll take that as a "no" then

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like a drive dying. Better back up what you can.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

You could try a chkdsk /r on the drive to see if there are failing sectors, but the noise may well mean other mechanical problems. You should definitely back up all you can since even chkdsk is a workout for the drive and may be its Swan Song.

On the other hand, the drive may just be doing some extra seeking due to file system errors and chkdsk might repair them all. We can hope.

5. hugme179

hugme179

Its a serious issue with ur RAM just reinstall ur Ram and it should resolve the issue..
    Please don't do it yourself call any local technician.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice