1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Problem with XP startup transferred from other forum

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by caarlyon, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

I originally posted this to the Windows XP forum, wondered if there were any other suggestions other than the one answer I got (I have to wait for my brother to visit me as I wouldn't dare fiddle with the mother board on my own), in the meantime?

Strange start up problems with Windows XP Prof.
    Hi I have been living with this problem for some time but it is annoying and I was hoping someone could help me get rid of it.

I am not sure how to describe it. Simplest seems best.
    When I push the button to turn on the computer it lights up and makes a few slight noises as if it is going to boot and then it stalls. Nothing happens. I then turn it off manually and try again. The second time (occasionally it takes even another try) the first thing I get is a black screen with an Energy Star logo in the top right hand corner, and Phoenix-Award BIOS v6 .00PG on the left. Then a page of information about cache size, System BIOS shadow status etc. (None of which I am familiar with). I have to press F2 to continue.
    Then I am taken to another black screen which is asking me to select the operating system.
    If I press ENTER (or even if I don't after a few seconds) it will then start loading Windows.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if it can be fixed? Thank you for any help you can give me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice