1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dazsturbed, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dazsturbed

Dazsturbed Thread Starter

Right, I have a computer and it's fairly old it was bought in about 1999, and runs on windows XP OS. The problem with it is it randomly turns its self off well i say turns its self off but it doesnt turn off its still running its just not outputting to the monitor or anything connected to the computer, it kind of goes in to a state of hibernation out of the blue. Then when i turn it off by holding the power button down for 7 seconds and then turn it back on it just comes on for a second then does the same. if you wait about 3 hours then it normally runs for about a hour, half hour then does it again. I think it may be a power failure but its realy confusing me if any one can help i'd sure be grateful. If you need more information about the computer to understand what i mean just post what you need to know. Thanks.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Yes could be the powersupply or heat issue.

Cleanout the PC of dust dust is a real heat maker , like a blanket.

Check the heatsink and fan for the CPU isn't clogged up with dust also.

Makesure all fans are working (including the powersupply fan)

Run it with the side off and if you have a household fan to direct at it and see if it runs longer.

3. Gairon

Gairon

Does it basically just freeze solid, or does the monitor go black?
    Mine does the same thing, but everything freezes solid until I restart, and it won't restart unless I wait awhile. The inside is quite cool, unless its the power source, which is probably caked, because I'm afraid that the label saying "do not open" means it will blow up if I touch it too hard.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Gairon

You will not need to open the powersupply if fact DO NOT!

Have you checked the Heatsink and fan on the CPU is not clogged with dust...

Try the same take the side off and blow a fan at it and see how it runs

It also could be memory how much is in the PC?

5. Dazsturbed

Well both sides are off the computer and theres already a household fan i've put next to it, and my mates cleaned out the fan. But it could be memory as the hardrives have only 4GB each! but i thought this would be alright for just using it to surf the net? But yeah the computer stays on the fans still run and everythink still runs but nothing is outputting, eccept i noticed that the light in my mouse stays on so there must be some output, although it could just be the power failing? it's a bit of a mystery at the moment.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Haven't said how much memory in that PC?

7. Dazsturbed

175MB ram! i know i know its bad

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Get more memory.......

9. seahawk

seahawk

Have you ever replaced the battery on the MOBO?

10. Dazsturbed

Could the Cmos realy be causing the computer to turn off like that though? Surely it would't effect the computer so much that it goes off like that? But no i haven't changed the CMOS scince i got it .

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that is not cmos or memory issue. Psu is prime candidate but it could also be heat on video card as well. Separate video card or onboard?

12. Dazsturbed

I'm gonna get a new power surply that might fix the problem. And a new video card. And mext month im gonna get a brand new PC anyway. Thanks for the help anyways!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice