1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Problem!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CardinalDub, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CardinalDub

CardinalDub Thread Starter

I'm currently using WindowsME, and for some reason, I cannot download more than 4 items at one time(ie MP3's, Videos, Files, anything). When you try to download the 5th item(meaning, RIGHT CLICK, SAVE TARGET AS), the file download box just sits there, and won't bring up the option to save the file UNTIL one of the 4 items currently downloading are finished. ALSO, to further complicate things, when 4 things are being downloaded, I cannot BROWSE in that same window. When I click a link--nothing, it just sits there--until one of the 4 downloads are done, then it goes. When I used Windows 98 and Windows XP(I hated it), I didn't have this problem, I could easily download 20 files at a time if need be. Any ideas on what is causing this, why, and how to fix it?
    System Specs:
    *Windows ME
    *500mhz AMD K6-II Processor
    *192MB SDRAM
    *Cable Modem
    *3Com Home Connect Network Adapter

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Welcome to TSG CardinalDub. :)

Have you attempted to check resources before trying th fifth download? Right click my computer>properties>performance tab. Dont quote me on this but I seem to recall someone else asking about that. Not sure if windows can handle more.

3. CardinalDub

Well, now its worse. I decided to format and reinstall WindowsME, now, I can only download 2 files at a time! The system resources BEFORE downloading begins is 82%, after I have 2 downloading and 2 trying to download(sitting there), the system resources drop to 69%. Thoughts?

4. $teve

$teve

hello there cardinal....it sounds like by formatting /re-installing your system has reverted back to the default"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=2
    try this.....click start/run,type in "regedit"(without the quotes)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet settings
    find this key "MaxConnectionsPerServer" right click it,change the value to ..........well......mine is 10
    also "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server......same again...10 close regedit and re-boot.
    i think this will do the trick.
    post back if not:)

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Thanks. Didnt know that one. :)

6. $teve

$teve

no problem doyceJ.........its quite a while since my brain went down that road but im pretty sure thats the spot:p

7. CardinalDub

Those actual lines WEREN'T in the Registry, but, after adding them and then following the directions you gave, it worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch!!! Ya' learn something new everyday! :cool:

8. $teve

$teve

MAGIC!!!...................:D
    only too glad to help cardinal.
    y`all come back now y`hear!;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice