1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Problems w/ HP 8510p Notebook. Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by stlcards213, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stlcards213

stlcards213 Thread Starter

So a few days ago my HP 8510p started acting up in a strange way. I was getting BSOD's saying things like "IRQL not less or equal." Sometimes there would be no BSOD but the system would simply go black and i'd have to reboot. What was really strange about it was that it seemed to happen whenever I moved the laptop. I ran memtest86 which indicated some ram problems. I figured i'd just replace the ram, but i'm low on money so i put it off for a little bit. I kept experiencing intermittent crashes. Today, I booted the system and received a short BSOD followed by a crash. I could not tell what it said. Now, when attempting to boot the system it goes through its normal startup process, but then stops at a screen with a flickering dash, right before it would normally give me the option to boot from safe mode, last known config, etc...I am worried now that its a HDD problem, which would really suck since my warranty expired July 31st...any suggestions on what this could be??

Thanks in advance.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. stlcards213

It appears i was mistaken...the memtest i ran comes from this website - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/support.html - which does not appear to be the same thing as memtest86. The only information it gave me was that there was a memory error detected.

4. blues_harp28

5. stlcards213

I'll try to see if i can pinpoint the which stick is bad, but the computer isnt even booting so will I even be able to tell, or do you think the RAM problem is related to the machine not booting?

6. blues_harp28

7. stlcards213

I downloaded the DOS version of SeaTools and burned the ISO to a CD. I set the machine to boot from the optical drive and started it up. However, nothing happens and I still get stuck at that screen with the blinking dash. Did I do something wrong or miss a step?

8. blues_harp28

That sounds like it could be an internal problem with the laptop!

Apart from the above - I'd first check the Ram sticks, either run the MemTest on each stick
    or remove one stick at a time and see if it will boot up.
    But if it is an internal problem - something has become disconnected, or faulty, you may need to have someone take a look at it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice