strange problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

num

i installed the latest version of ubuntu on another hard drive, and ever since i started working on it, especially with an internet connection i had strange issues coming up. for firefox the upper right google search box doesnt work, when i hit enter nothing appears. when i go to the system, places and applications bar above, it dissappears and reappears when i click on it or any of the tabs. also firefox has this strange issue of shutting down randomly. I also cant seem to download anything through firefox, can someone please help me?

num said:
i installed the latest version of ubuntu on another hard drive, and ever since i started working on it, especially with an internet connection i had strange issues coming up. for firefox the upper right google search box doesnt work, when i hit enter nothing appears. when i go to the system, places and applications bar above, it dissappears and reappears when i click on it or any of the tabs. also firefox has this strange issue of shutting down randomly. I also cant seem to download anything through firefox, can someone please help me?
Hi num,

What version of Firefox are you using? I am using Firefox 1.5.0.3 with Ubuntu Live CD LTS known as the Dapper Drake release. However, I have installed about 12 Extensions and saved them on disk, even though I have to reacquire the saved extensions from disk everytime I start my computer with the Live CD and run Ubuntu from memory (rather than from disk).

I can open up a new tab in Firefox, and type "Linux FC6" into the Google search box in the upper right hand corner, and it works as advertised.

I am not familiar with the "systems, applications and places" bar above (the Google search bar - I presume it is part of a Google tool bar that is installed either by default or separately by yourself). If so, it sounds like either you are referring to the address bar in which you can type both an IP address in http number format or in http name (text) format, or a separate Google tool bar. Which is it? If it is a Google Toolbar for Linux, why do you need it if it is separately installed by yourself?

In order to download using Firefox, you first need to be able to access a download website. Can you surf using Firefox? If not, then this issues may be related or caused by firewall access restrictions if you cannot websurf anywhere. Check your firewall's rules for allowing Firefox to access external websites.

-- Tom

num

thanks, linux seems to work fine now since I restarted it, maybe possibly some wierd glitch. I am not exactly sure about that, but thanks for the tips, i will keep that mind in case something like this happens again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online