1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange reboots and freezes

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by civilsavage, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. civilsavage

civilsavage Thread Starter

i'm running windows XP pro with IE 6 (latest MS release) and my machine lately has been rebooting at random times with no bad shutdown message upon reboot, no warning that it's rebooting, nothing, but i do have a suspicion that it may have something to do with active content like java and macromedia flash/shockwave... cos you see: this site doesn't use any of that stuff, at least not according to what i've seen so far (this is my first post) and i'm able to use it just fine... but as soon as i try and navigate a site like ebay.com or rottentomatoes.com or even macromedia.com or any other site that uses flash/shockwave banners/animations the machine reboots or sometimes just freezes up entirely... however, it usually doesn't happen the first time i access the site, just as soon as i start making my way through it, and it's especially a pain when i have more than one browser window open or a seemingly innocuous site like nytimes.com or yahoo.com has a pop-up banner or advertising animation fly across the screen or something awful like that... i doubt that it's a virus or security issue cos i have virus protection running all the time, did three full scans yesterday, and have all the security patches from microsoft... suggestions? advice? remedies? :confused:

2. dai

dai

to get the error messages you need to turn off auto reboot and reboot manually

3. civilsavage

civilsavage Thread Starter

that took care of the reboots but the freezes still occur and there's still no error messages... and just a few minutes ago it happened with this site... after i did a format and clean install and running only outlook and internet explorer... this is really strange because there's even fewer clues as to what could be causing this freezing thing... sound like anything anyone's ever encountered?

4. dai

dai

run adaware and spybot and see if they pick up anything

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice