1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange rectangle in top left

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ainwood, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ainwood

ainwood Thread Starter

I installed Windows 7 RC 1 yesterday, and all running smoothly, except for one issue: I have a strange mostly invisible rectangle in the top left of the screen. It can only be seen by its shadow.

Anyway - putting the mouse over it, I get the "wait" cursor. Can't click or right-click on it. In fact, when i added the "computer" and "control panel" shortcuts to the desktop, they got placed in that rectangle, and I can't open them when they're there (manage to drag the control panel one out of the "bermuda rectangle", and then (and only then) could I interact with it.

Any ideas? Screen crop attached.

Attached Files:

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Did you upgrade in place or was it a clean install? It looks like a corrupt icon placeholder to me so its no surprise that the system icons went there, but how to repair it is a good question.

Does the same thing happen in a new user account. If not, that's the only solution I can think other than to try reinstalling 7RC, clean install preferred by far.

3. ainwood

ainwood Thread Starter

Well, a reboot solved the problem. :hmm:

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Oh, I assumed you would have rebooted a half-dozen times or so already with no solution. Might want to test the memory if you get more scattered odd phenomena but otherwise sounds like a false blip eh?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice