1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange resolution problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by allenriley, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allenriley

allenriley Thread Starter

lets see.. i have a dell inspiron 8000 laptop running windows me. i've read through a lot of resolution problems people have had on this board but none of them seem to be like the one i'm experiencing. for some reason, the resolution is stuck at 1600x1200. everything is incredibly small and its hurting my eyes. when i change the resolution in the display properties, it stays 1600x1200, but the display area becomes smaller. so at 640x480 everything on the screen is the same size as it was at 1600x1200, but the display area is only a little bigger than a gameboy screen. is this my video card?

2. allenriley

ive tried reinstalling windows and my video driver, too.

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Do you mind if I chuckle a bit? I just got this picture in my mind of what you were looking at. Wow, must be rough. I may not be of much help on this, but did you load your video drivers from cabs or from the disc?

4. allenriley

i used the cd

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the color depth set at? And is the Monitor properly recognized?

Have you tried switching refresh rates from optimal to adapter default or visa versa?

And when did the problem begin? If after an upgrade to ME, you may need updated drivers.

6. allenriley

ive tried changing the colors to 256, 16 bit and 32 bit. i tried switching the refresh rates and it doesnt repair the problem. lately ive been seeing a lot of flickering on the moniter and i have to readjust the position and wiggle it a bit to get the flickering to stop. yesterday while i was in class my roommates girlfriend said the screen was flickering and then the current problem began.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Can you get your hands on another monitor to swap out and see if the problem persists?

8. allenriley

i dont know how to remove a laptop moniter. can that be done easily? im pretty sure that the moniter itself isnt faulty though because when i go into the F2 setup menu during startup the resolution is normal. i dont understand whats causing the problem. the startup screens and BIOS are screwed up in the same way windows is.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are there any physical controls, ie, digital, on the monitor itself for expanding the screen.

My regular old monitor will do the same thing if I press a certain reset button on it. I would then have to use the monitor display controls to resize the screen. And it has to be done separately for Windows, DOS, and safe mode each.

The flickering problem definitely sounds hardware related though... :rolleyes:

10. allenriley

nope.. no physical controls. ive been considering calling the dell phone number but they apparently charge 30 bucks a pop, which is ridiculous.

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

he he he...:D I dont know how to remove one either. Missed the laptop part.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice