1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange screen on bootup (XP SP2)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Digitalfiend, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Digitalfiend

Digitalfiend Thread Starter

I was recently issued a new laptop at work and after a few pushed updates from our IT department, I discovered that everytime I boot I now get a strange screen just after the Windows logo but before the login prompt. The OS continues loading about 5 seconds after this message is displayed. I've contacted our IT department but they don't seem to know either.

I have a strange feeling it was caused by a failed update. Judging by the spelling mistake in the message and the timing of the error, my guess is that it originates from a 3rd party driver/software. It is interesting to note that when booting up in safe-mode the error screen does not present itself. This further makes me suspect a driver of some sort. There are also no related errors in the Application or System Event Logs.

Here is the screen:

[​IMG]

I have no idea where this message is coming from. I'm not sure if it from a driver but I've checked all the common areas where startup scripts and programs are usually placed and I didn't find anything.

While this error doesn't really affect the machine, it is driving me nuts because I can't seem to find the cause and I'd really love to know.

Has anyone seen this style of error message before (i.e. just after the logo but before the login prompt)? Any suggestions on where to start looking, keeping in mind that I have searched the Registry, start-up folders, played around with msconfig, and can't find anything?

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Configuration:

HP nc8430 Laptop w/ 4GB DDR2 PC5300
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Attached to Domain & managed via group policy and SMS
    Runs a boat load of security software (McAfee virus scan/host intrusion detection, Entrust, etc)
    Uses Intel's Wireless Manager instead of Windows Zero Configuration
    Uses VMWare Workstation 6 (only mentioned due to the installation of virtual network and related services.)

2. Bob1940

Bob1940

Had simiiar problems, been there done that, Virus checkers, Spy ,regedit.
    Desktop flashing unable to access anything except Cntrl Alt Delete.
    Display, only part program running, large fonts, safe mode black screen with safe mode in each corner. Unable to change VGA etc

Noticed once while Desktop starting up a white flash, to fast for camera so used video, turned out to be a Womans head "White" with long hair.

Researched further and came across a fellow with similiar problem, explorer.exe.
    someone in the forum said he had a Virus "Winfixer.exe" and to download
    from www.superantispyware.com superantispyware pro this company says they find what the others don't and there spot on. (note freebie which updates)

First scan it picked up a heap of things all the others did'nt including "Winfixer.exe"
    took 4 complete scans to get rid of all its bits with the last scan with System Restore turned off.

Another great part is if you open in the Quicklaunch section this program
    will scan your computer and colour code Good Bad or Maybe files.
    The actually see what is really running on the Computer.

Unfortunately with all my mucking around with this fix that fix I believe I have mucked up
    the computer.

Reality is if I had know about this program the Computer would be up and running, just
    as a matter of interest "Winfixer.exe" has the capability of introducing near perfect
    error messages as it appears was happening on mine.

I suggest you Google "winfixer.exe" its frightening and enough to turn you off the Internet

3. Digitalfiend

Digitalfiend Thread Starter

Thanks but it definitely isn't spyware or a virus and Windows continues to boot and run perfectly fine. As I said, I'm pretty sure it is related to a driver or service. It's more of an annoyance than a problem. Unfortunately, being a developer, I always feel compelled to fix these types of problems or at least figure out what is causing them. This one has me stumped though since it happens before Windows has fired up.

I just thought of an idea though. I'm using VMWare for my development work so I might just image the host to a VM and start uninstalling any recently installed drivers, services, etc to see if I'm right.

4. Bob1940

Bob1940

No worries, please note the Winfixer.exe Virus or Spyware, take your pick has the ability to bring up perfect error messages.

What you are possibly seeing may not be a fault at all. Hopefully it is only a driver.

Suggest research Winfixer in Google even if you have'nt got it its good research.

I might ad I did all the checks, ran all the scans looked at the HiJacks etc etc etc.

None picked up this Winfixer, its very smart. Thank heavens someone found a solution

I,ve noticed in the forums a rush of similiar syptoms. Considering it spread via MSN and
    some of those ubeaut Video sites I've no doubt its now in a high percentage of personal computers including corporate. Just sitting there slowing chewing away at bits and pieces.
    Gee Computers a bit slow tonight, bugger its dropped out, now wheres that program.
    Hello its saying I've got a Net fault?, It won't shut Down. Hell I can't access the Desktop, hello now I,ve got a explorer.exe problem, no worries download Internet Explorer 7 again.
    Wheres my Display Configuration gone????

In regards to MSM About two weeks ago I tried to access MSM Messenger, it brought up a new version which had to be downloaded and installed before you could use Messenger.

Compulsory download, on researching Winfixer.exe I found it was using MSN adds I think
    to transmit this virus\spyware. MSN to their credit removed those ads as per report.

I had a spyware downloaded and installed without me knowing then it did a automatic
    scan telling me I had all sorts of bugs. I uninstalled it, to late now I believe that was the introduction of Winfixer.exe.

take care
    regards from down under

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!