1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange sound behavior w/Windows 7

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BryanBentz, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanBentz

BryanBentz Thread Starter

I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 on my main PC. Before that my sound was fine. Now, I get 'zaps', pulses of intense static, whenever I (for instance) play a system sound - usually at the beginning or end, but nor precisely repeatable.

I moved my speakers from my sound card to the motherboard audio, and I get the same behavior. So I don't think this is hardware-related; if it were electrical noise I would have heard it before the Windows reinstall, and if it were driver related (for the sound card) I wouldn't hear it through the motherboard audio. I've updated all drivers anyway.

I did reinstall various codecs, but that seems to have had no effect at all.

If I use, say, Windows Media Player, I hear the little zaps at various times; perhaps at low audio levels, but I think mainly at the border between songs. It kind of feels like some startup transient, but I can't be sure of that. All the internet searching I've done hasn't led to much - mainly because most problems/solutions seem to be (say) sound-card specific.

The machine is a 64-bit CyberPowerPC, Windows 7 has all it's updates, all the drivers should be the newest stable drivers, there are no other problems with the machine. I've played with pretty much all the sound settings I can to try to get things to work - I don't think it's a clipping problem, for instance, as I've set the output levels to be fairly low.

Any help, ideas, suggestions, prayers, insights, hypotheses, or guesses would be most welcome.

2. ringowheelin

ringowheelin

Praying for your computer. Also, have you had a gohst hunter check it out? :p sorry Im of no use. WAIT, powered external speakers? maybe just maybe a new power cord for them? off chance?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    I'd suspect a connection or hardware issue. Test with a different set of headphones or speakers, that will help determine the cause of the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice