1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange "stuttering" problem in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by derz, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. derz

derz Thread Starter

Hi there all. I get this problem randomly. Sometimes I'll go through a whole session on XP and it will never happen. Other times it happens. I'd say 30-40% of the time.
    what happens is after the computer has been on for about 5 minutes, everything starts to stutter: most annoyingly, my mouse...so I'll be moving my mouse around and the pointer will not move smoothly but just jump around. The same happens with typing...the letters don't appear smoothly its kinda a bit "stuttery" as it appears if you understand what I mean? Although it is more noticeable with the mouse movements.

Also, if I try to play a movie or music, the image/sound stutters too. This happens in any application I try to run the media. This is a really annoying problem. Usually I have to restart and hope it doesn't start again.

Now I checked my Processes and I see something taking up 97/98/99 % of my CPU - "System Idle Process". I have a feeling this might be the problem. Maybe it isn't, maybe that is always there I don't know. I try to end the process but it won't let me "The operation is not valid for this process" it says. It may be a virus but everytime I run adaware it never even comes up with viruses/adware/etc (I take good care of my computer).

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

What kind of mouse do you have roller ball, optical or laser?

"System Idle Process" is ok to take up as much as it wants that is ok it is the other processes you have to worry about.

I would like to check for overheating please run speedfan

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

Please psot the temps back here.

3. derz

derz Thread Starter

Hey Ozrom1e, thanks for the quick reply.

My mouse is a logitech Mx510 (optical). I have DLed and run speed fan. I have attached a picture of the temperature charts as they were not constant temps...hope this is what you require.

Also Temp1 and Temp2 were both constant at 26C.

I'll just add, the computer seems to be running fine other than the stuttering...programs still open quick, and it can handle multiple programs being opened. Its just the mouse thing and also media not playing smoothly that indicates something is amiss.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. redhat9

redhat9

What applications do you have installed or running when this happens?

5. derz

derz Thread Starter

I have really nothing running when this happens. I tried closing every program, even those running in the background. Even just with my background and desktop shortcuts there the mouse behaves erratically. It is odd. I'm beginning to think it is a virus of some sort. At the moment it's fine but next session who knows it might start up again.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

How old is the computer?

Have you ever used a can of compressed air to clean out the computer?

7. derz

derz Thread Starter

It is not that old. 6 months (laptop). The problem hasn't happened for a while. Maybe it just fixed itself...thanks for all your help though. It might have been a website that i visit sometimes that just sets something off my computer doesn't like or something.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice