1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange thing happened when booting up laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Sa7881, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sa7881

Sa7881 Thread Starter

A while back, something particularly strange happened. I started up my laptop but it booted as if it was a brand new pc and gave me the screens you first see after purchasing one.
    Screens like:
    "Hi. We're setting things up for you." while the background changes color occasionally.
    On the login screen, the picture I usually have as the login background was still there before suddenly changing to a default background.
    And after I logged in, my desktop was completely empty except for the recycle bin and the wallpaper had changed to one of the default choices. Shortly after, an error message appeared saying something about the desktop missing. I don't remember exactly what the message said. Later, I restarted my laptop and after that everything was back to normal. My files and programs were there like they were before.
    I tried looking this up online but I wasn't entirely sure on how to word it so I was unable to find answers, therefore, I am here.
    I didn't do anything big before this incident other than running Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool as well as CCleaner so this is very weird. So far, everything is going just fine but I worry there could be big underlying problems that I'm not seeing. Are there any explanations for this? (hopefully it's not haunted)

I have Windows 8.1 and have had this laptop for about 5 years.

2. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Other than the error message have you had any kind of problems? I've had this happen when something, probably an update set things back to default.

3. Sa7881

Sa7881 Thread Starter

I didn't notice anything special. Earlier today, when I restarted, the login screen flashed the same default background for a split second but that's probably not of importance. Other than that, I don't believe there's anything else.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It appears to me that you had done a Factory Reset.
    This is the only way a machine can be wiped clean to start over.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice