Strange things happening with Windows Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beadmaster

I've noticed some very strange things happening with Windows Vista.

The most annoying and invasive to my work is when I happen upon a file with a strange name, no extension. Like "M." Or "Br."

I've determined the files are always valid files. I discovered they always show up when I've opened up a new folder. They take the name or first few characters of the folder name. It may be associated with a pop up window, asking if I really want to rename the folder. I don't know that for sure, though.

I've found what's happening is Windows is taking part of the "new" folder name and renaming an existing file. It's never the same name file or even close. For example, I can have a file named "work.zip" or "work.pdf" and all of a sudden, it's in my folder as, say, "bir." And I have to trace back to where it came from to know what kind of file it is. Often I don't remember the file type, so I can't simply rename it to track back to what it is, to unzip it if it's a zip file or read it if it's a PDF. Sometimes I can track back if it's a recent download and I haven't deleted it from my history, but I delete things from my history often, as I have to check them often, due to intermittent occurrences of "failed" downloads. So this usually isn't an option.

This is affecting what I can do when I have to spend hours trying to figure out a file type so I can look at a file which has been thus renamed by Windows. No idea why this is happening, either.

The other odd thing Vista is doing now (and this is new...the file renaming problem has been happening for a few months) is it no longer displays all icons correctly. I'll look at a folder icon that used to display normally, and suddenly it will look different. It's not one I recognize. It's almost like a document, but it isn't, and it's an icon I've never seen before. It displays in folders this way and also in file saving and opening windows.

I can refresh, close and reopen folders, reboot programs accessing said folders, even reboot the computer, shut down and restart programs, and nothing works. The folders still display wrong. They're (as far as I can tell) all completely random.

Thank you in advance!

beadmaster

One other thing that's happening and forgot to mention. My folders themselves are very messed up, not just icons. Folders that always displayed 5 icons across to represent files in the folders are now sometimes showing 6 icons across. But not all folders. Sometimes they show 5 across, sometimes 6 across. There's no commonality I can find. If I change a folder, make it narrower to display 5 across (easier to count), it doesn't "remember." So it will often go back to 6 across. Some folders display as very wide with 5 icons across.

Makes me wonder what's happening to Windows Vista.

beadmaster

Thanks, @lunarlander

I do have Malwarebytes on my system and ran it. I won't be able to tell for some time whether or not the things removed had an effect on the file renaming issue, since that doesn't happen all the time. It didn't change the problem with the width of the folders and it didn't change the strange icons. Looked like most of what Malwarebytes found were browser hijacking programs, which is strange, as this isn't the first time I've run it and definitely ran it more than once before, well after the browser hijacking programs were already on the computer (have been fighting with SnapDo damage and problems for years).

Run Malwarebytes anti-malware and have it take a look. Download from here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online