1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange user login problem in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Curt369, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Hi :)

I'm having a problem when I log into my XP account. I can log in fine, but when I'm in, my background image is gone, my icons are gone, etc. When I go into My Documents, My Pictures, etc. through the Start Menu, none of my stuff is there :eek:. It almost seems like when you make a new guest account.

However, when I click Run and go through Documents and Settings to My Documents and stuff, I can get to my things through there.

I've tried a system restore, but it said it couldn't go back to the date (which was yesterday morning). The system restore doesn't seem to work on any date. :mad:

So if anyone can tell me what has happened or how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Striker840

Striker840

Have you gone into control panel>users and checked to see if your original user account is still there?

3. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Yep, it's still there. I still had to put in my password to get in the account, and since I could see my files (passworded account, only I could see them) in one way through the account, I'm pretty sure I'm on my account.

Seems like it's just the Desktop and Start Menu and everything on them have none of my files.

4. Striker840

Striker840

Strange, never heard of this before.

BTW Do you have system restore turned on?

5. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Yeah, system restore is on.

I lets me go through the whole process and restarts, but then when the login screen loads it pops up saying it can't be restored to _____ date. I've tried it for several dates too.

edit: I tried again, the message I get is:

"Restoration was unsuccessfulNo changes have been made to your computer. System Restore was unable to restore your computer to the specified restore point. Select another restore point and try to perform the restoration again."

6. The Hound

The Hound

You could try creating a new user profile, and copying your old profile data in...

From the MS Knowledge Base, here's how...

7. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

8. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Well, I'm trying to copy my stuff into the new account. But when I'm on a different account to do this, it won't let me access C:/Documents and Settings/Curtis to select the files

I've done everything until step 3 under "Copy files to the New User Profile"

9. The Hound

The Hound

Access denied error?

Try this...

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
    5. Click Add.
    6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
    9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

10. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

The file being C:/Documents and Settings/Curtis, right?

If so, I'm not seeing a security tab.

11. The Hound

The Hound

Let's back up a step. Inside the C:/Documents and Settings/Curtis folder, can you click edit, select all, the hold the ctrl key and click these files (to unhighlight them):
    ntuser.dat
    ntuser.dat.log
    ntuser.ini

All files and folders in that view should now be highlighted except the three above...
    Right click a highlighted file, left click copy, then paste them into the new user profile folder, like C:\Documents and Settings\New Profile.

Don't try to copy the whole C:/Documents and Settings/Curtis folder.

12. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

The problem is I can't get into C:/Documents and Setting/Curtis, though.

Sorry about that I was kinda unclear when I said where I was...I meant I hadn't finished step 3.

13. The Hound

The Hound

So double clicking the ..\Curtis folder gives you an 'access denied' error, and right-click, properties doesn't show you a security tab?

On the right click, is there a 'sharing and security' option?

If yes, click that, and on the 'sharing' tab, uncheck 'Make this folder private'.

14. Curt369

Curt369 Thread Starter

Tried that, the "Make this folder private" can't be checked or unchecked, from any account.

15. The Hound

The Hound

Have you tried from the 'Administrator' account in safe mode?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice