1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange vertical line crash for seemingly no reaso

Discussion in 'Games' started by docjones1, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docjones1

docjones1 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've been having a really weird problem for the last few days. I was playing a game on my PC when the computer screen went to a strange screen with vertical lines [​IMG] then shut down. Since then whenever ive been playing a video game my computer would shut down at weird intervals to the same style of screen with the lines occasionally having different colours. I play a fairly graphically intense game for about half an hour whereas the medieval 2 campaign screen crashes in 5-10 minutes. I have no problem with normal browsing.

Here are some things I've done to try and resolve the issue:
    • System restore to a few weeks ago.
    • Cleaned superficial areas of the PC because I thought there could be a dust related problem - it's now pretty clean but there could still possibly be some dust on the crevices of components.
    • Updated graphics card driver - didn't help.

When the computer crashes it either restarts automatically or I have to manually turn the power off - in this case when I turn it back on it doesn't do anything so I have to turn it off again and turn it back on to get it to come back.

Here are a list of games it crashes on that I've tested so far (it's worth noting that I have no decrease in performance before the crash):

• Total war medieval II - Crashes after short amounts of time, even on campaign screen
    • Total war Rome II - lasts longer than M2
    • Planetside 2 - Crashes within a few minutes
    • Chivalry Medieval Warfare lasts about 10-30 minutes

I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating problem - here are my more or less idle temperatures
    (celcius) :
    Temp 1 - 43
    Temp 2 - 47
    Temp 3 - -128
    HDD 0 - 31
    HDD 1 - 33
    CPU - 42
    GPU - 45
    MB - 47
    Core - 42

My DXdiag is at http://pastebin.com/asbLjyjQ

If you need any more information I'll reply as soon as possible.

Thanks - Jack.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. docjones1

docjones1 Thread Starter

Hi Mac, thanks for replying.
    There isn't really a make and model of the computer as I put it together myself. I did this well over 3 years ago and haven't made any major upgrades recently which could have triggered the problem

Here are the results from the utility:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12286 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 476673 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 61708 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A78LT-M
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Edit:
    It may be worth noting that my gpu has 3gb not 1gb and I have avast anti-virus

4. Macboatmaster

Cheers - if I need the DX we can have that attached it - I do not open links
    How long have you had AVAST installed and is by any chance that or an update to it - fitting in with the crash. It does have somewhat of a reputation for causing problems on Windows 8 - not as a general rule, but it appears to me that sometimes, updates to windows that change system files do not sit well with 3rd party AV`s

Is Avast the free edition or paid for

5. Macboatmaster

Further to the above
    1. Is it overclocked

CPU cooling - standard cooler with fan - have you checked cooling fins

3. I think I am right in saying that it has integrated graphics
    Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU

It will not of course be good for gaming but have you tried those

6. Macboatmaster

I am signing off in about 30 mins I am in the UK it is now 2354
    Back about 1900 hrs

7. docjones1

docjones1 Thread Starter

Hi again. No need to reply as there's no rush for me. I honestly am not sure if an update to avas could have caused it as it's all automatic. It's the free edition. I haven't overclocaked anything on my PC. I'm not sure what you mean by cooling fins, I had a look at the fan at the cpu but I didn't remove it any further. I'll test a few games on the integrated graphics and report back. Thanks for the help - Jack.

8. Macboatmaster

If it is the free edition
    uninstall it from programs and features
    then reboot
    run the asw uninstall tool
    https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility
    note the warning
    reboot
    check windows defender is enabled

BEFORE uninstalling AVAST try the integrated graphics with AVAST
    If it still shuts down - uninstall AVAST and test with the card AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

if it still shuts down, test the integrated graphics (with the Avast uninstalled as above. )
    If with AVAST uninstalled and you still have a problem with the integrated graphics then of course regretfully, it appears you have an other problem

cooling fins of the CPU are underneath the fan, you do not have to remove anything - just have a look between the fan blades.
    If the fan blades are clean, and did not have dust build up - then normally the cooling fins are OK

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    In addition to Macboatmasters posts, can you tell us the following:

1) What software are you using to get the temperature readings?
    2) What is the exact make, model and wattage of your power supply?
    3) What are the voltages for the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails?

I can't open the DXDiag through work, can you attach the actual text file to a reply rather than an external link.

10. Crazy10

Crazy10

From the pastebin link:

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Thanks Crazy10, my work internet and wifi was blocking it!

12. docjones1

docjones1 Thread Starter

Hi again - sorry for the wait.

Macboat I've checked and I don't think avast is causing the problem and I uninstalled it. Could you please give me some guidance on getting the onboard graphics card to work - it's been a while. I tried turning the PC off and connecting to the motherboard but it didn't work - will I have to uninstall the drivers for the 7950 or even remove the card before I can get integrated graphics to work.

Tanis I used speedfan for the readings.
    The PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply
    I honestly don't have a clue about that third question - hopefully the information is here?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050AFU46?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Thanks for replying everyone.

13. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Speedfan is OK but is getting a bit dated, it can give incorrect readings.

Your PSU is not a particularly good one unfortunately. Even though Corsair do make decent units, the builder series are only really any good for basic builds using onboard graphics. Anything using a dedicated card for gaming or other intensive tasks should really be powered by a better quality unit, having said that I am not saying the PSU is the problem at this stage :)

The easiest place to get accurate voltage readings is probably in the BIOS, I don't know exactly where as it varies from one BIOS to another. It should state what the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails are reading, if you find it in the BIOS that can you post the info. The only downside is that you only get the readings at idle not under load.

For the onboard card, physically removing the 7950 'should' force the system to use the onboard graphics. Otherwise check in the BIOS again to see if it has been disabled there.

14. docjones1

docjones1 Thread Starter

Mac so far so good on the integrated graphics - I'm guessing this means the problem lies with the GPU itself?

Tanis here are the readings
    3.3V = 3.3296
    5V = 5.068
    12V = 11.912

Edit: it just crashed when I set the resolution to 1920x1080 but I'm guessing that's because the integrated graphics can't handle the resolution
    Edit 2: Kept the resolution at 1280x... and it is fine.

15. Macboatmaster

Depends how you are connected
    Graphic
    Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU
    Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
    - Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
    - Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    - Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85 Hz
    Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB

I am wondering if it is question of the PSU - not the fact hat it is the 600 builder series model of Corsair, as it should deliver 40 amps on the 12 volt rail - more than enough -
    The 7950 at max load draws approx 220 watts = 18 amps
    There is I understand a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connection to the card
    Try getting another set of voltage readings
    11.912 on the 12 volt rail is within tolerance of +/- 5%
    Run it up on load on the integrated and use HWMonitor or Speedfan and see what voltage we get from there

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice