1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange video problem with 5700LE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devedander, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devedander

Devedander Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my GF4Ti to a 5700LE and am now having a very strange video problem.

First off I did uninstall the drivers before switching cards, and uninstalled the old card even though they both use the same driver.

When I try to view a video now, the video acts very strangely. The picture inside WMP actually moves around inside the viewing area like it's too big to fit and it's letting it scroll around inside the viewing area. But the picture IS the right size, when it scrolls off to the side, it just shows black and whatever corner of the picture remains in the viewing area. It moves opposite my mouse (for instance if i move the mouse to the right the picture slides off to the left of the viewing area) and only moves up and left or some combination of both.

Secondly when I full screen the video, i get very bad tearing, much like the wind effect in photoshop. This only happens when the video is centered, as even in full screen mode the video will move off to the left or up off the screen as if it's scrolling to show me more... but the picture is the right res.

I am running this throug DVI to a 2000FP (all hardware and software the same as before the card switch) and it's driving me insane! I like to watch videos on my computer a lot and this kills it for me!

I had the exact same tearing problem a few years back with a different video card (don't remember what one) and I don't remember how I fixed it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Update just installed Winamp 5 and the exact same thing happens, even the weird scrolling, here are some pictures to explain what I am talking about, because you can't printscrn a video i had to photshop these up but they look pretty much like what is going on.

First picture is obviously what it should look like, if I put the mouse in the right place it will actually look just like this, but if i move the mouse the picutre may slide off to the left and up.

The second picture is what would happen if the mouse was to the right and slightly below the picture, the farther right the farther it would slide left, same for up and down.

The last picture is pretty much what it looks like in FS. it's not really that bad, the streaks are just as long and pronounced, but not as numerous so you can still make out the picture, like a really noisy torn signal.

PLEASE HELP :(

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try going into your display settings and turning down the level of hardware acceleration in the troubleshooting section. Try it one notch at a time to see if the situation improves.

This looks like a DirectX problem. Run: dxdiag
    See if there are error messages in the lower windows and if any tests fail.

3. Devedander

So I checked and indeed it passed both tests but it does show one file as being old and sugests updating it. However every time I run install for directex it simply says 9.0c is already installed...

Is it best to find an uninstaller (I always hate uninstalling dx as it usually messes something up bad) or just manually replace the file?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What version of the NVidia display driver are you using?

5. Devedander

I tried the newest ones and the 3 previous, all same problem.
    I tracked down more info on that dll, it's apparently one installed by WMP10 and it's version 10 (which dxdiag mistakes as an older version). Sadly I can't roll back to before 10 was installed.

On another note I rechecked the othe drivers, seems that one of the older ones get's rid of the video moving around during windowed play, but does not fix the full screen tearing...

I may work my way back even more drivers to see if anything helps, but it is gonna bite to use old drivers.... usually means lost performance.

6. Devedander

One more thing I didn't think of, I pulled my video card entirely and am now using the onboard only. It is only VGA and no DVI, but it appears the tearing is gone... the onboard is not an nvidia chipset so it's either driver related or hardware related, it's not directx as it would effect this as well. It seems last time I had this issue it involved watching my videos on VGA and doing everything else in DVI, which isn't really a solution. I will try this vid card in another box tomorrow and swap back the GF4 to see if I can narrow it down to hardware or driver related... but time will be a big limiting factor.

Any advice based on this info is greatly appreciated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice