1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange video problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jjurabong, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjurabong

jjurabong Thread Starter

Hello there,
    I've searched the forum and cannot find my exact problem. I would dearly love some help! Whenever I try to play video with any player (real, windows media) the clip loads and starts and then the player screen goes blank. If I minimize the screen and then enlarge it again, the image will register for a second or two. I've tried removing and reinstalling the programs. Any ideas for a way to fix this?
    Lots of appreciation for the help::cool:
    Thanks

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Hi and welcome.

Can you give us your pc spec. I'd suspect a dodgy graphics card driver, but if not and with a few tweeks we should get you up and running.

3. jjurabong

jjurabong Thread Starter

Hi Rache,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure which specs you need but I'll give it a shot ( I know nothing, as you can see:)
    Award Modular Bios v4.51pg
    Motherboard model i440BX-W977TF/Chipset Intel 440BX/DX/ZX
    Pentium 2
    VIdeo Codec: VDO wave v0.01 Driver: VDOWAV.DRV

I'm sorry if this isn't what you need. Please let me know if you need any other specs.

Thanks again.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If you have dual monitor or TV out, make sure the monitor you're useing is set as the primary display.

5. jjurabong

jjurabong Thread Starter

6. Rache

Rache Banned

Make sure your hd's are set for DMA. What os are you?

7. jjurabong

jjurabong Thread Starter

Hi Rache, sorry - I forgot that. I'm Windows ME. Unfortunately, it's all in Korean. (I'm a Canadian teaching at a Korean University) and so i'ts a little difficult for me to navigate sometimes. A friend suggested I remove all media players except one just in case that's the problem. May I ask what DMA stands for?
    Thanks so much,
    jjurabong

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think your running an old computer and that might be part of the problem. The requirements are getting higher to play video, ie DivX. Out of curiosity, how much RAM do you have, how fast is your CPU, and what video card do you have?

That aside, you probably need to update your Video Card Driver and DirectX.

DirectX you can get through Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Windows Updates. Its under Program Updates.

To find out what video card you have go to Control Panel -> Display -> Settings and it will list the Video card there. Or go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Display Adaptors.

While in Device Manager, check the DMA option under the Harddrive in IDE Controllers.

9. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

DMA = Direct Memory Access

DMA is a protocol that allows a device (a hard drive, for instance) to access the memory directly without having to put an extra load on the CPU

It sounds as if your video clips may just be buffering. Especially if you're a bit short on RAM, it may take a while for a video file to load completely...have you tried waiting for a while?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice