1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange webpage keeps returning

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tulsigirl, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tulsigirl

tulsigirl Thread Starter

I use Vista OS. I use FF browser. I have a webpage the continually opens in another FF window when I have NOT requested it. I have completely cleaned out every cookie, cache, history and other thing I know to clean out. I will open a FF session with previous tabs that I have requested and all is fine. Sometime during my visit another FF window will open with this webpage that I DO NOT WANT. It is NOT in my favorites/bookmarks. Is there ANYONE out there that can help? I have looked all over Google and cannot find anything even similar to this. Well, Pop Ups, but this is not like the pop ups I am familiar with. I hope there is someone out there that can help me.

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

What anti-virus and snti-spyware software do you have installed? Can you start Firefox in safe mode and see if the behavior continues?

EDIT: Which version of Firefox are you using?

Peace...

3. tulsigirl

tulsigirl Thread Starter

Thank you so VERY much for your reply, tomdkat. I use AVG anti-virus. I use Spybot, SuperAnti-Spyware, Windows Defender and Spyware Blaster. I'm using vs 3.0.1 of FF. I've never used safemode before and will try it tomorrow when I sign on as I'm shutting down for the night. I'll let you know if it shows up in safe-mode.

Thanks again, for your quick response and willingness to try and help me...

Sincerely,

4. tomdkat

Thanks for the info. I trust you've kept those apps current and have already scanned your system for spyware and viruses, correct? :)

Peace...

5. tulsigirl

tulsigirl Thread Starter

I have kept up on all my updates for my anti-virus and anti-spyware, which I don't think Spybot is working properly which is another problem completely. I brought my FF up in safe mode and the second page came up with the "regular" page of FF. This is almost like a stalker and it's freaking me out....

6. tomdkat

Ok, did you upgrade to Firefox 3 by installing over an existing Firefox 2 installation or is Firefox 3 the first version of Firefox you've ever installed?

Peace...

7. tulsigirl

tulsigirl Thread Starter

I did install over vs 2. This is not my first FF, I've used it for several years. I always install over the old version, is that improper?

8. tomdkat

Thanks. I do the same and I don't think it's necessarily "improper" to do so. Sometimes strange things can happen since I believe Firefox 3 is very different than Firefox 2 in its profiles. So, try creating a new profile and see if that profile exhibits the same behavior.

Also, in your existing profile try clearing all cookies and your browser cache.

Peace...

9. tulsigirl

tulsigirl Thread Starter

I deleted FF vs 3 and went back to 2. The webpage has not reappeared for the past 24 hours. If it continues to be ok, I'm gonna try deleting vs2 and try 3 again. I want to thank you so VERY MUCH for your kind assistance. I'm not going to mark it solved until I've tested vs3. After that I'm hopeful it will be solved....
    Warm Appreciation.

10. tomdkat

Sounds good. Keep us posted! :)

Peace...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice