1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange windows crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobayashikun, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobayashikun

kobayashikun Thread Starter

Hi, to all of you in the community !

My story is another one of these "unexpected shutdown help-me" issues.
    I've been browsing the web pretty extensively in the hope of fixing things myself but couldn't quite find anyone posting the same problem as mine so I decided to look for help.
    Let me first tell you about the problem. Then, you'll find my config + an EVEREST report.

The computer shuts down without any warnings or messages. Nothing, everything goes black and silent all of a sudden. I read that happens to a lot of people. Now, the originality of my situation is that the computer will shut down performing certain tasks and it will work perfectly doing others.

The computer WILL WORK normally when :
    - using MS Office 2003
    - using the internet (Firefox)
    - watching/listening to video/audio content on the internet (Firefox)
    - downloading with bittorrent (uTorrent)
    - watching videos, any formats (Media Player Classic)
    - listening to music (WinAmp)
    - burning DVDs/ISO images (UltraISO)
    - anti-virus (AVG) and anti-spyware (AVG) work and update normally

The computer now ALWAYS SHUTS DOWN when :
    - playing games (mostly i've played Civ4 and TTDX)
    - converting audio formats (whether with Mediamonkey or Mediasource 5)
    - performing any kind of system scan like Memtest or Spybot

I've been reading about shutdowns and it always seems to come down to a few scenarii :
    - dust. but i've cleaned the inside of my case twice this week with no avail.
    - virus. but my problem started on a previous win 2003 install. i formatted and after a clean install, with latest SP and graphic drivers, the problem was still here.
    - graphic card. but the drivers are up to date. I've tried "Civilization 2", to make sure and the same crashes happen. But surely, Civ2 is NOT heavy on system ressources, is it?
    - RAM going bad. I don't really know much about this. I've had the module i'm using for 2-3 years now. I've taken it out and replaced it but crashes did not stop.
    - heat. Now, could that be it ? true, I have 2 DVD drives and 3 HDD inside the case. I've got a big fan on the computer, nothing on the graphic card, and no extra fan in the case except the ones that came with it.
    But, I've had this config for a long time now and the shutdowns appeared only recently. Also, I remember a while back playing Civ 4 without any kind of trouble, for exemple.

Actually, the only change I can think of recently is that I got a new monitor. I dumped my old Sony for a new flat panel (LG L204WT). And now that I think about it, the two events might be coinciding ! Or am I just being paranoid because i'm pissed off ?

That's all i can think about in terms of description and comments of my problem.
    Does anyone have any clue as to why the hell my up-to-now faithful PC suddenly went bad ?
    Don't know if it's relevant but i assembled it myself... i've done it many times, for friends, etc... never had any problem.

Thank you to anybody giving thought to my situation and getting back to me with some answers...

Here's my config :

Win 2003 server standard SP2
    RAM : 1024 Mo (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Processor : AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz 2800+
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
    Chipset : nVIDIA nForce3 250
    Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 Mo DDR)
    3 HDD :
    - HDS722516VLAT80 (160 Go, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    - ST380021A (80 Go, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    - WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0 (298 Go, S-ATA IDE)

Windows is installed on a 15 GB partition on the 1st HDD.

2. miaumiau

miaumiau

English ain't my mother language so please excuse any errors...

My machine crashed very often too. I checked the HARDWARE (RAM, etc.), SOFTWARE, etc. but it changed nothing.

After a long time I found the reason for these shutdowns: It's uTorrent and the tcpip.sys / tcpip.txt. I corrected the tcp to the normal windows settings because I had modified it to boost my downloads. But whenever I use uTorrent the shutdowns come again from to to time.

I would suggest that you try BitComet or any other torrent client. And that you delete all drivers which aren't accepted by Windows.

From time to time whenever I use uTorrent again my machine crashes. However some trackers 're blocking BitComet, etc. so I've to live with it. But I know why now. I haven't found any setting for uTorrent to stop this prob yet???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice