Strange Windows Explorer behaviour

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n1546660

Hi all,

I am having some very strange windows explorer behaviour when viewing the "My Documents" folder.

Firstly, whenever I open a document that lives on any of my hard drives, for some reason a shortcut gets created for it in the folder "c:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\Documents". NB, this is where I have set the "My Documents" folder location to by using Tweak-XP and has worked fine for years. Anyway, a shortcut gets created for any file I open using windows explorer. Very strange.

Secondly, I find that for any file or folder that lives in the above mentioned directory, I am completely unable to rename it. When I right click on a file or folder or any file in any subfolder, the rename option is not there, bit it is for any other folder or file on my system. Furthermore, when I click on a file and press the button "F2", Windows just beeps at me.

Thirdly, in some programs, when I am opening a folder location such as in a "open file" dialog box, I cannot see any folders beneath the above mentioned folder. It doesn't have a little "+" symbol next to it, it's as if the program thinks it is an empty folder or something. I notice this in the program "tweak XP" when I try to change the location of the "My Documents" folder location which is actually the subdirectory "Documents" instead of the usual location of peoples MyDocuments directory (as mentioned above).

So given the above really strange behaviour, does anyone know what may be going on?

1. shortcuts get created whenever I open a file
2. unable to rename files
3. some programs (eg tweak XP) cannot browse further down the directory tree.

My system is recently updated with Windows XP updates. It is protected by an external firewall, and has a recently updated virus scanner. The only other thing to note is that I have recently changed the folder location of "My Music" using Tweak XP in order to move my iTunes music folder onto a different hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Andy Gray

I noticed this is an old post. I hate it when no one can or deos answer my question and yours do not seem all that difficult for a techy. Anyhow I have problems with the duplicate files myself only mine are not shortcuts created. my pc creates a copy if I don't execute my task quick enough. ex. trying to delete say 10 *.jpg and selecting them all and then delete. If I don't select and delete within about 5 seconds then each one will get a copy so you can just imagine how many copies I spent riding my pc of after I saw this happening! anyhow I have a couple of ideas on your other probems unless you have solved.

n1546660

I managed to fix the problem. As I recall, I think somehow the location of "my recent documents" got changed to the folder I mentioned above. Changing it back to the default location helped fix the problem. I think I might have used tweak-xp or something like that to change it back. Or perhaps you could just edit the registry to do so.

Thanks.

- Andy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online