1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange XP Search and IntelliMouse Explorer problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r00ted, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Hello again guys,
    Long time no post, blah blah :p Anyways, I've been noticing strange activity on my computer. The Start > Search isn't working, for filename I use *.exe, Lookin C:, Search Options All Files and folders, search system folders, hidden files and folders, and subfolders. I hit Search, the button depresses and greys out like it's searching, but in about 2 seconds, it pops back up and still says "o start your search, follow the instructions in the left pane" it says that in the right pane.

Ive tried doing *.exe, *.txt, etc, no results, which it SHOULD give something but aint.

Issue 2: my IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0A USB mouse has been acting weird, when I do a "single" left click, it will trigger as a double click for some reason......and it's REALLY annoying...lol, like, if I got 2 IE windows open for example, and close the top 1 using the X, it has a chance of somehow triggering the single left click as a DOUBLE left click and closes both windows. Or, like when selecting the first file in a group (to group them together with CTRL or SHIFT) when I left click it, it will trigger it as a double click and execute instead of highlighting it. It's really messed up.

attached is both my startuplist and the HJT logs.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. rude

rude

For search open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

For the mouse go here:http:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q96016

3. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Alright, I followed the first directions to fix the search assistant but havent rebooted yet (downloading some game patches) and it doesnt seem to be working still. But I might just need to reboot.

As far as the Mouse issue, Ill have to look into that, I do believe my house is using the USB cable/connector though. and that doesn't seemed to be linked with my problem since the computer doesn't have two pointing devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice