1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange zip files in C:\PROGRAMS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by starchild, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I was looking for files I didn't need to delete (going by directions someone else was given here, to put large size files in FIND- FILES/FOLDERS) and came across a zip file in C\PROGRAMS. Actually, when I looked there are 4 in all.

I unzipped one and it seems to be some sort of temp files, nothing that seems good. But, I wanted to make sure.

They are CAB files one says CREATED March 7, 2003 and modified Sept 29,2000(they were modified 3 years before? I don't think I think I reinstalled WINDOWS less than a year ago) The others are similar.

One is DATA (26MB) one is DATA1 (102MB) when I unzip them the files that come up have all ???? after them for ratio and packed.

One _Sys1 says user1.CAB and isn't a valid zip file, it can't be opened. Says if it was downloaded to do it again.

There are 4 of them (zip file icons) in the PROGRAMS. I'm not an expert about files and programs, I think CAB ones are something to do with installing WINDOWS?

It just doesn't seem like zip files should be in there. They aren't in any folders (in PROGRAMS) just out loose on the bottom of the folders.

Anyone tell me what they are and can I delete them? (Just checking)

I have WIN 98 SE

Thanks,

~ Carrie

2. Lobos

Lobos

i wouldnt they sound like installation files for windows

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I agree. Some manufactures used to place CABs of the OS on the disk, so that components could be installed and removed without a real disk. I know HP used to do this, and i think old Dells did too.

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks..

I just thought it was odd that they were zip files.

~ Carrie

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Some .cab files can be opened with Zip programs, and there is probably a file association between the Zip and the .cab.

Thats why they "show" as zip files, its not that they necessarily are .zip files.

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

the ones that I opened looked more like temp files of some kind. Some were tutorials for Quark Xpress but the graphics on them didn't open. Some were just graphics, like might come on an ad or something.

The more I learn about computers the more confusing they seem :)

I saw something on t.v. what was going to be on the 11:00 news it said "is your computer watching you?"

Maybe it means spyware, and not like a hidden camera in the monitor (all this time)

~ Carrie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice